Motor for alumacraft mv1648 ncs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeStaten

Reaction score
Just picked the boat up this week. Looking to get a motor for it soon. It will be used for fishing and some duck hunting. Most of the time it will be 2 guys and dog on the boat. Will a 25hp be sufficient? I'm not against going used for the motor but may buy a new one. Any suggestions on brands for new motors and used ones. First and foremost i'm looking for reliable, don't mind giving up some speed or going with a heavier motor if it means i will be working on it less.

Thanks,
Mike

Yes a 25 will push that just fine. For used motors, I am a big fan of Johnson/Evinrude. The 20-35hp motors are great motors. I run a 1983 Johnson 35 on a 16' deep v. The new evinrudes are great motors with super torque. If you want a 4 stroke, Tohatsu gets the nod from me.
However, none of the new engines out there are bad. If you go new, choose a dealer with a good reputation close to you and buy what they sell. If you do need service, driving 200 miles to a dealer you don't know to fix brand x isn't worth it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

MikeStaten said:
Just picked the boat up this week. Looking to get a motor for it soon. It will be used for fishing and some duck hunting. Most of the time it will be 2 guys and dog on the boat. Will a 25hp be sufficient? I'm not against going used for the motor but may buy a new one. Any suggestions on brands for new motors and used ones. First and foremost i'm looking for reliable, don't mind giving up some speed or going with a heavier motor if it means i will be working on it less.

Thanks,
Mike

Yea, I think a 25 will do fine. If you decide to buy new,
I have a similar setup as yours with a 2018 Suzuki 30 hp. Its only been a year so far, but I'm well pleased.
Very smooth and quiet running 3 cylinder engine, love the convenience of power tilt/trim and burning straight gas.
WOT feels scary fast to me, so i won't be doing much of that. :)
I ran old johnny rudes 2 strokes as well, and they got the job done too.
Good luck with your decision.

Thanks all. Seems the new yamaha 4 strokes get very good reviews too so may be leaning that way if I buy new. Any reason that other brands would be better than the yamaha? Sorry for the basic questions, my outboard experience is limited to my 2001 Mercury 9.9 2 stroke.

Thanks,
Mike

That new yamaha 4 stroke 25 is awesome. You can get it with a power tilt/trim and it's still very lightweight. I borrowed a friend's 1448 that wore one of those on the back and it performed fantastic. So quiet compared to my 2 stroke!

Latest posts