Vintage outboards

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1960 yellowboat

Reaction score
Cruising Craigslist I come across old outboards for sale. Usually for cheap. [ like me ]
Now I already have a 1955 Evinrude 15 hp that is on my boat but I can't help myself from looking at more oldies.
The latest is a 50's Firestone 5.5 hp
Or a 70 something 7.5 Eska hmmm
Clintons come to mind too.
Once had an Elgin 14
Are parts still availble for any of these?

I have a better idea.
Why don't you come over some time. I have a two-cylinder Elgin that needs a new home as it was given to me by a widow in hopes the engine would be brought back to life and enjoyed. It is all there as far as I know and is not stuck.
I have too many engines that I will never get to. If you are serious and will get it up and going it is yours for making the trip. If you look online for Elgin parts you should come across a site that has about everything needed to get it going. You have to honor her wish though.
https://www.elginoutboard.com/

Pappy.
Don't know if you're interested but on the Tampa Craigslist there is a guy selling a 1957 Mercury KD25? for $400 that has original charcoal paint and is marked Kiefhafer , probably spelled it wrong, but its only been on for two days and is a real looker

i'd love to get back into it but after my ex cleaned me out, ,,,,,oh well. but i do enjoy the oldies. and yes, i know that merc's can be a nightmare. i'm a big fan of Max W. from Duckworks

I had a 2 cylinder 6 hp Merc from 1963. It was one of the good ones made in Wisconsin and black and chrome. It was quiet and started on 1-2 pulls. I used it on a wood drift boat. That was a great engine.

I had an old Johnsonn long shaft on a sail boat at Lake Tahoe. It was around a 1973 model and another 6 hp. I always disconnected the fuel line going into the marina to run it dry. It was a one pull motor.

Now I have an 8 hp Honda 4 stroke. After some tinkering, it is now a 3 pull motor. It is loud compared to the previous 2 strokes, but dependable.

In the garage is a 1929 Johnson 1.5 hp motor that has been in the family since 1948. I used it on a dingy in Chesapeake Bay when I was a kid, and now I am 69 years old. It still runs.

ppine said:
I had a 2 cylinder 6 hp Merc from 1963. It was one of the good ones made in Wisconsin and black and chrome. It was quiet and started on 1-2 pulls. I used it on a wood drift boat. That was a great engine.

I had an old Johnsonn long shaft on a sail boat at Lake Tahoe. It was around a 1973 model and another 6 hp. I always disconnected the fuel line going into the marina to run it dry. It was a one pull motor.

Now I have an 8 hp Honda 4 stroke. After some tinkering, it is now a 3 pull motor. It is loud compared to the previous 2 strokes, but dependable.

In the garage is a 1929 Johnson 1.5 hp motor that has been in the family since 1948. I used it on a dingy in Chesapeake Bay when I was a kid, and now I am 69 years old. It still runs.
Yes, but do you still run?
I'm 69 too and I can run like a cheetah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,to the bathroom!

Latest posts