goodbye new plastic tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1960 yellowboat

Reaction score
After my previous messed up posts on the new fuel tanks, I was so wrong about many things, Pappy set me straight.
So, Here in Homosassa there is a Marine supply re sale shop that I have dealt with before. I had some old 7 inch pedastiles and other junk that I traded even for a nice old STEEL 3 gal tank. Its clean inside and out and I will restore it and use it.
Here's some before pictures of it. By the way, this guy has EVERYTHING ! He must have 100 anchors and a huge amount of older parts.100_0191.JPG100_0190.JPG100_0189.JPG

The only downside to the old style metal tanks is that modern fuel blends evaporate out of the vent a lot faster. As it evaporates, it also drops temperature which can sometimes cause condensation. Not a big problem--but worth mentioning.

Modern fuel is completely different than "older" fuel blends and ethanol isn't the only problem. All newer outboards (within the last 10-15 years) will tolerate E10 with zero problems aside from sitting.

Here's the old tank with a new paint job, a new hose and fitting, new decals, and white rubberized edging on the bottom to minimize vibration.
Tank,,,,$5
Paint,,,,$3
Hose and fittings $20
Edging,,,,,$5100_0201.JPG