1955 Evinrude 7.5 Fleetwin - busted pull cord

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonynoriega

Reaction score
Hey all, been a long time.
So got the boat out for the first time yesterday with my boy. Had her start after a few pulls after a year in the garage.

Long story short, was ready to hit a new spot and noticed some fraying in the pull cord right below the handle, and that it was getting caught in a crease of the housing unit where the fold/hinge is on the front.

Went to pull it a second time and severed the **** handle.

Looking to see if anyone knows what this entails to repair, where I could find a new cord and handle? Not finding anything online for my specific motor.
Something I could do myself (pretty handy guy)? or just take it to the old repair guy and hope for the best?

thx all

Remove the handle. You will not find a handle/cord "assembly".
The rope has to be a specific length, no shorter. The rewind spool has to be wound a specific number of turns before the rope is added and the spool is allowed to retract. If you install a rope that is too short and the rope comes to the end before your arm does...parts break.
I do not have those figures in front of me but you should be able to look them up.
Hoping you are running that engine on a 16:1 fuel oil mixture. Certainly nothing less than 20:1 as that particular horsepower had a nasty tendency to lose #1 rod if run on a lean oil mix.

I recently did a 5hp & it took 7 turns of spring winding, then hooked rope end into the little attachment window. We used starter rope from Farm & Fleet, think it was 4.5-5mm diameter.

Latest posts