Any Honda experts?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoryTheCowboy

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've been looking for a new-to-me tiller motor for my 16' Lund and came across these Hondas with this description

"I have 2 40 HP Honda Outboard motors, mid 90s one is counsel and ran two years ago when put to storage and the tiller has no bottom end... Come take a look if you want.. Pm for any questions"

From the pictures, they look like they're the same vintage and seem like I could make them into a workable tiller motor (and the price is right). From my reading it isn't rocket science to put the bottom end from the console motor onto the tiller motor, I'm mostly wondering if I'm missing anything? The parts seem like they will interchange, I just thought I'd ask the experts before I went to look as they're about 2 hours away.

Thanks,

Cory

Honda? Couldn't tell you much about them....

Yamaha I could. In the Yamaha world, few parts interchange between years and generations. I've been down this road with an F25, bought with no foot but I had one in the shop from an F25. Great I'll just bolt my foot to it. NOPE. LOTS of little differences, shafts, rods, water pump parts, water tube, ground wire locations, whole bunch of little stuff.

Honda outboards are not well versed here, just no support for them. Sometimes a dealer will pop up, but they don't sell enough to keep any support on hand for them. Most of the time they pop up and are gone within a years' time. Suzuki is about the same way, locally. There are some scattered established multi-line dealers that handle them but they don't survive on outboards. Not at all. Honda builds a good product, just behind the times as far as outboards go. UTV's too.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to get the model and serial numbers off of both motors and start looking at parts diagrams for both motors and see which parts have the same part numbers.

I've replaced a number of impellers on 35-50 HP Hondas over the years and from what I remember, they all seemed to be the same, but as turbotodd says, there can be minor differences that can make things incompatible. Most manufacturers try to keep things the same across the lineup for a number of years to minimize manufacturing costs and parts inventories. My guess is that if they are close in years, you'll be able to either convert the remote to a tiller or swap the lower unit parts from the remote to the tiller. If the price is right I'd give it a try, and if it doesn't work out, resell them to break even or even make a few bucks.

Matt193 said:
I think the easiest thing to do would be to get the model and serial numbers off of both motors and start looking at parts diagrams for both motors and see which parts have the same part numbers.

I've replaced a number of impellers on 35-50 HP Hondas over the years and from what I remember, they all seemed to be the same, but as turbotodd says, there can be minor differences that can make things incompatible. Most manufacturers try to keep things the same across the lineup for a number of years to minimize manufacturing costs and parts inventories. My guess is that if they are close in years, you'll be able to either convert the remote to a tiller or swap the lower unit parts from the remote to the tiller. If the price is right I'd give it a try, and if it doesn't work out, resell them to break even or even make a few bucks.

Agreed.. it's worth a try if the parts interchange.. a good running Honda motor is gold! Not to many for sale around my area for 2 reasons.. there are not a lot out there, and those that do have them don't want to part with them.

According to the seller, they'll interchange as that was his plan until he got a whole 'other boat. The price is right enough (I think) that even if I need to get some parts, I'll still be doing alright.

I'm going to check them out Monday. Fingers crossed ;)

Thanks for the help,

Cory

Well, as usual, I made a hasty decision that might not turn out the greatest...but I have a pair of '95 BF40s in my driveway

nKohYfa.jpg

We'll see how it turns out ;)

Cory

What are the serial #'s? Check out the parts diagrams on www.marineengine.com or www.boats.net

If the housing part #'s are the same you're probably fine, you can dig deeper from there if need be to make sure the driveshafts are the same, but I imagine they would be if the housings are the same casting.

onthewater102 said:
What are the serial #'s? Check out the parts diagrams on www.marineengine.com or www.boats.net

If the housing part #'s are the same you're probably fine, you can dig deeper from there if need be to make sure the driveshafts are the same, but I imagine they would be if the housings are the same casting.

I'm a big fan of marine engine.com. Unfortunately, you won't find exploded parts diagrams for Honda Outboards there. Not sure why. I use the diagrams at marine.honda.com as well as boats.net.

Huh - you're right, no honda's on Marineengine.com...wierd. Boats.net has them though.

I've got a mothballed 15hp that I need to bring back to life someday, it's heavy for being a 4 stroke - weighs the same as my 25hp 2 stroke, hence the lack of drive to get it going.

Latest posts