20 HP - Honda or Mercury

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I’m looking to buy a new 20 HP 4 stroke with electric start and tiller steer, in N. Ontario. In the 20 HP size, are they both great? Which model, Honda or Mercury is the best and why?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 20 Tohatsu/mercury is a strong motor. Don't know anything about the Honda's but the Tohatsu is an overachiever. Lots of people happy with them.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I’m near Parry Sound. I happen to be heading up to Lion’s Head this weekend.

HONDA! i had many issues with a brand new merc 20hp. even had to take in for warranty repair, which the said they didnt find anything and i owed $350 for the labor. but yet when i got home the issue occured and then i noticed they had taken the carb off new gaskets here and there. but they didnt find anything one the sea trial and didnt taouch anything.........

When you head over to Lion's Head, stop in Alvanley at Tigwell marine and ask them about the Tohatsu 20. They rig them with a console steer on 16' boats. I've seen them zip along with 3 guys in them.

Tohatsu 20 and Merc 20 are the same motor are they not?

Also the Merc 20 is EFI not carburetor, where the Honda is still carbureted. Is that desirable?

Yes Tohatsu and Merc are the same up to 30 HP. Really comes down to the dealer. Is there a good dealer that you trust in the area? I'm sure they are both good motors, really can't go wrong with any of the new motors. Buy one and take care of it. If I was to go out and buy a new motor right now, I'd be looking at the mercatsu. Because of reputation and the good selection of dealers nearby.

Thanks for the reply. Bass pro is selling them for a good price. With a 20 hp motor I can do most service work myself and essentially take it to whoever I feel will service it best.

I’ve had the Tohatsu 20 hp efi electric start, for a couple months, I’ve put 25 hours on it, zero problems. I use it on a heavily loaded 14’ v hull and am happy with the way it performs. The fuel economy is amazing.
It’s a little hard starting for an efi motor—my only complaint. It always starts but you have crank it a bit. I think it takes a moment for the non battery operated efi system to charge, my best guess. I have heard others complain of the same thing. If you pull start it it takes one short pull followed by a good long pull. That usually does it.

The Mercury 20 is the same motor with with more doo-dads on the tiller handle.

Latest posts