Motor for a 14 foot Sea Nymph

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
I just bought a real clean 1979 Sea Nymph from a guy at work. It's rated for a 15 HP motor max. Should I buy an older 2 stroke or bite the bullet and buy a 4 stroke? I'm worried about the weight.

It came with a 20 HP Chryler 2 stroke, but the places I fish check the capicity plate.

As I see it,You have two choices.
A clean used johnson or Evinrude two stroke from the 80's or 90's [ easy to fix, stay away from all other makes] or a new four stroke. Down here in hurricane central, the motors of choice are Yamaha's. Quiet, dependable.
That Chrystler may last a very long time but finding repair parts for it will be an increasing challenge.
If it's rated for 15 max, I'd go for 10 horse or so.
Just my two cents

Agree with the older johnnyrudes being the best bang for the buck. Lots of parts and service available. If you are looking to spend on a brand new motor, the Tohatsu gets the nod from me.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Tohatsu 4stroke EFI 15 hp, quiet, fuel efficient, 95 lbs. So about 20 pounds heavier than a 15 2 stroke. Not a bad choice if you want to go 4stroke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tohatsu 15 and 20 are the same motor.....just a 15 sticker..,just saying. Great motors

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Tohatsu 15 and 20 are the same motor.....just a 15 sticker..,just saying. Great motors

You talking about the current EFI models? I would have guessed they would have had different ECU's.

No I meant it's the same platform, same weight. May as well buy a 20 and put a 15 sticker on it. If your going to spend the money on a brand new motor, might as well get one that will push the new boat once the OP gets twofootitis. Lol.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
No I meant it's the same platform, same weight. May as well buy a 20 and put a 15 sticker on it. If your going to spend the money on a brand new motor, might as well get one that will push the new boat once the OP gets twofootitis. Lol.

I gotcha lol.

Latest posts