1963 Merc 1000 repair troubles

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Disoranized

Reaction score
I have a 1963 Mercury 1000 6cyl inline long shaft, the motor will crank over but it will not start. It has spark and all of the plugs are working. One big issue is that when I try to start it, it makes a big explosion out of the exhaust. Before it would not do it but after I changed the timing it started to do that. I have tried to change it after that but now I don,t know where to go.

Mr. Disoranized said:
I have a 1963 Mercury 1000 6cyl inline long shaft, the motor will crank over but it will not start. It has spark and all of the plugs are working. One big issue is that when I try to start it, it makes a big explosion out of the exhaust. Before it would not do it but after I changed the timing it started to do that. I have tried to change it after that but now I don,t know where to go.

Have you checked the ignition timing with a timing light?

You need to look at a manual to see how to set timing. Those motors have a timing belt under the flywheel.
Good luck

Because it is firing when it isn't supposed to. That is the result of crossed wires or being extremely out of time like Pappy said.

Latest posts