Woke up a 200XP Evinrude after over two decade sleep.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pappyfromthekeys
This engine has been sitting in the shop after replacing a piston well over 2 decades ago! Carbs had been rebuilt and never touched or filled with fuel.
The engine was fogged down with fogging oil back then and I shot a ton more in it prior to rolling it over and while rolling it over with the plugs out prior to starting. Started on a 24:1 mix as it will have to go back through a break-in again.
This is actually the first start. We had not started it or attempted to start it prior to the video. Looks like the old girl wants to come back out and play again! Only two issues were the starter bendix needed lubrication and the primer solenoid manual valve leaked fuel under pressure from the ptimer bulb.....not bad in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYWzDcY_Cks

Well sounds like she is ready to wake up, stretch, maybe yawn a little and get the kinks out then go back to work. For sure she wasn't reluctant one bit.

Pappy, I'm curious as to 1) why it sat for 2 decades and 2) what was the impetus to fire her up now?

Sounds like she wants to run!

CMOS

One of the owners of the dealership used to dabble in semi fast boats. He bought a Champion bass boat from a good customer of ours a couple years ago that is a perfect platform for this engine. Currently running an Evinrude Ficht 150 on it. That engine is tired. This one is ready to go. The engine belongs to him and has been sleeping on a stand for decades in the shop.
Funny you mention it though. We had some big bore carbs in the shop that were as new as well. Back when I was a service rep for OMC I had sent them in for something or other.
Today I told him screw the standard carbs and grabbed those big-bore carbs and did an R&R with the standard bore carbs. Ran the engine again today on a test wheel down at the ramp for a few minutes and decided the engine is ready for the swap. It is stout to say the least. We will break it in on this set up then start a bit of modification to the engine. As it stands now it should turn a 26" Raker pretty much up to the limiter which should put the boat around the 78-80mph mark before we play with it.
Hey, I have a V8 Johnson in the same state. Will take it out of mothballs one of these days as well.

Latest posts