10w-40 alternatives?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cricketchaser

Reaction score
I like to use Rotella oil. My outboard calls for 10w-40, but Rotella is hard to find in that weight. What should I use as an alternative?

cricketchaser said:
I like to use Rotella oil. My outboard calls for 10w-40, but Rotella is hard to find in that weight. What should I use as an alternative?

Rotella T6 in 5W40 ought to work nicely.

The additive package in automotive lubricants favors an engine that runs at 50% load or less for most of it's life.

The additive package for FC-W marine 4 stroke engines is designed around engines that run at 100% load and 100% maximum RPM most of the time.

I ain't saying rotella isn't bad stuff. Just saying that a lubricant that is designed for the engine's intended usage might be a better choice. But it's your engine and you are certainly free to lubricate it however you please.

turbotodd said:
The additive package in automotive lubricants favors an engine that runs at 50% load or less for most of it's life.

The additive package for FC-W marine 4 stroke engines is designed around engines that run at 100% load and 100% maximum RPM most of the time.

I ain't saying rotella isn't bad stuff. Just saying that a lubricant that is designed for the engine's intended usage might be a better choice. But it's your engine and you are certainly free to lubricate it however you please.
I didn't know this, but I would have to agree.. there is a reason for the " marine grade " oil and it's good insurance to use the proper oil rather than an automotive substitute.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Rotella dropped their gas engine rating awhile ago. Who knows if they changed their formula or didn't pay to renew the gas engine rating. Their loss because a lot of folks used it in gas engines.

I quit buying it for my small engines and use another straight 30hd.

My boat gets marine lube. Motors are too expensive and the little ones work hard and break down oil quickly. I order it in the winter and stick it on a shelf.

Latest posts