1978 Johnson 50 tune up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinSkeeter

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals I picked up a Valco jon with a 1978 50/35 OB jet on it. The boat and motor had been sitting for at least ten years so naturally it needs some love.

I bought a starter that wasn't an OEM replacement to replace the one on the motor due to it having a broken magnet. I also had to put on a new starter solenoid. It seems as if the starter has already quit on me and I haven't even been able to start the motor yet, just turn it over a couple of times to check for spark (which it doesn't have.)

I have also been looking at carb rebuild kits because it has been sitting for so long and I'm willing to bet that it wasn't ran dry before storing. Besides, they aren't that much money and would be nice to have on hand.

Local shop told me that when both plugs lack spark it is more often than not the CDI/powerpack that has failed.

So I am here to ask if it is worth it to spend the extra bucks for OEM or is going with another brand like Sierra for the carb rebuild kits/power pack fine?

I have ohmed out the power pack side of the stator (brn/brn white and black white/white black) and those wires are within range. The other 3 wires coming from the stator are 2 yellow wires and one yellow with a stripe (blue I think?) When checking the ohm readings for this winding of thw stator would I ohm out the two yellows? The striped one and a yellow? Yellow and grounded to the block? I also don't know what the safe ohm range is. It would be nice to know for sure that it isn't the stator. I pulled the flywheel and it LOOKED ok. Not melting or anything. But who knows.

You would IMO be ahead of the game to go OEM for your powerpack and carb kit. I refer back to your starter as an example. Your carb kit will not be a full kit, just SOME part you need to repair it with aftermarket. OEM will be a complete overhaul kit.