excessive crankshaft end play

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CedarRiverScooter

Reaction score
I got back to working on my '72 18 HP. I measured .020 crankshaft end play, 3 times the max limit (.007). So I am wondering how much longer this pup will run. What would it take to replace bearing? Do you have to split the case, press on new bearing & other hard-to-do stuff? Or am I overthinking a 48 YO motor (best case).

Thanks & Merry Christmas to my TinBoats friends!

Edit - bought a shop manual this AM. I'm in too deep with this motor to scrap it now.

Got my OMC factory service manual for my exact year & model.

Funny thing, the 'old outboard' service manual for 18-20hp states .007 as spec for max end play.

The factory manual states .009 as minimum & .023 as max.

Since I have .020 end play, this new spec kinda eliminates my desire for a full teardown.

Seals & thrust washer are on there way here.

What do you guys think?

I don't know the answer to your question but I sure hope you just dodged a bullet.

I just got the shop manual for my outboard. I expect it will pay for itself many times over just with routine maintenance type stuff not to mention other repair work.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing how this goes for you.

Well being retired I was actually looking fwd to a value-added project.

But experience has taught me well to not fix it if it ain't broke.

So I am just going to install the new top C/S seal & store the other parts until the day they are needed, which may not be in my lifetime 8)

It's been 50 deg here in Iowa the last few days.

If that keeps up, maybe the river will thaw sooner than spring & I will a chance to test the motor or at least finish painting it.

Changed out the upper C/S seal today.
I drilled 2 holes in old seal & used sheet metal screws to pull it out.

seal.JPG

On another note, the wires for shutoff switch were rotted, so I soldered on new wire. Spent over an hour on that, then overtorqued the nut during reassembly & broke it. I see a new one is $100, not gonna happen. Farm & Fleet has a rubber bulb starter switch for $5, that's more my style.