Replaced stator/trigger/flywheel. Do I need to link/sync?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcamera

Reaction score
Motor is a Mercury 75hp from 1986. I just swapped out the flywheel, stator and trigger from my parts motor. Do I necessarily HAVE to do a link-and-sync afterward, or should they be good just plug & play? Everything's running OK, but I'm not sure if it's optimized 100%.

By the way, it has the Type V ignition.

Thanks. I never did that before. Will study up and try it this weekend.

Ditto, you should at least check the ignition timing. If it is even a little bit too advanced, bad things happen. Aftermarket triggers may not have the same tolerances as OEM, and adjustments may be necessary.

I used an automotive timing light, run it on muffs with the fuel line unhooked until the carbs are empty, pull the plugs, ground them. Hook the pickup onto the #1 plug wire, move the throttle control to wide open, and rig up a jumper wire to crank the motor by the starter solenoid.

If your motor has a moveable timing pointer, you should verify TDC with a screwdriver prior to adjusting, and it helps to apply a piece of white tape or white out on the timing mark to make it more visible.

There should be a decal on the airbox that shows the maximum timing numbers. On my 84 Merc 60hp it is 29*BTDC, I set it at 28 just to be conservative. The timing numbers in my Clymer manual were totally wrong.

Latest posts