Need lower unit for Johnson 48 SPL (1993 model)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude

Reaction score
Well, i guess the cast aluminum finally gave out. Last time i took it out i had to go further into reverse to get it to engage. then today it blew up. i am not sure how it got contaminated.

IF ANYONE HAS A USED LOWER UNIT FOR ONE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0435275

20200120_113259.jpg

That LU fits several engines. There used to be several marine salvage places down your way. One used to advertise on CraigsList fairly often that had a bunch of OMC stuff. You should be able to find one relatively easy.

The 50 HP of that era were pretty much identical to the 48 except they have VRO. This may help you broaden your search

thanks for clarifying on the 50. i have heard that these engines were known for wearing out the lower units. i just can't believe the price of new outboards!

just glad this happened at the dock before i took the boat out to open water.

Well, good news. I located a full parts motor with low compression. paid $700 total which included new water pump, pressure check, and oil change.

I'm happy with this outcome all things considered. took it out for a lake test and everything worked smoothly!

one intriguing thing is that this "new" parts motor has a fully operational tilt assist. I really want to put this on my motor purely for the reverse lock feature (i have aftermarket CMC tilt and trim). this sounds simple enough and maybe i just need more PB blaster and a bigger hammer to unlodge the unit. getting a pressurized unit to line up to remove and replace the bolts seems near impossible. anyone with ideas would be helpful since youtube has not proved to have any great replacement video.

Attachments

• 20200208_123314.jpg
    20200208_123314.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 206

Latest posts