05 Honda BF15 clicking/grinding in reverse

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Western14’

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Murphy’s law here...just as I seem to be making progress restoring an old tinny, last week, the motor started acting up. arrgghhh!! The motor is a 2005 BF15 SHSA. When I put it in reverse, the motor begins to make a clicking/grinding noise and when given throttle, the motor begins to “jump” up out of the water. While on the water, I have to apply pressure on the handle (reverse) for it to stop making the noise. I’m thinking it’s not fully engaging into gear, grinding the teeth away.

The LU has plenty of clean oil and I’ve attempted to adjust the shifting cable linkage. Problem is, I’m not exactly sure where the correct placement on the linkage is. At first (before my 1st adjustment) it would make the noise in a tote of water. After adjusting by raising it, almost towards the linkage connection, it seemed ok in reverse while in the tote. Unfortunately, while on the water, the same problems continued. It there a certain measurement that the connection needs to be at? All adjustments are being made while in the reverse position. Any and all help is appreciated. Many thanks in advance

I would drain the LU oil & use a magnet to see if there is metal swarf in it. If yes, tear it down for inspection. Sounds like the clutch dog is rounded off.

Thanks for the response CRS, that was definitely the next step. Thankfully it turned out to be a shift linkage issue. Appreciate ya taking the time tho buddy. Cheers!