Oil extractor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
I saw a video of someone sucking the oil out of a small four stroke outboard during an oil change. It allowed them to do it on the water and not have to use the oil drain plug. Does anyone have one of these?

Yep, I have a Mityvac 7201. I use it on all of my
vehicles, one of my better investments.

Not endorsing the seller, just the 1st link that popped up:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MITYVAC-07201-Manual-Fluid-Evacuator-Dispenser/40905256

I used to have a 7300. I used it daily up to 25-30 times a day, and basically it wore out (just from the abuse of being in a production shop). Bought another, wore it out. It's plastic and that's what always broke; so I just made one out of an old air tank. Still have it. Same exact design, the tank is just metal rather than plastic and it's 10 gallons now vs the original design's almost 2 gal. For home use, they're awesome!

Yes you just stuff the tube down the dipstick hole as far as you can get it.

On some motors you have to use the little suction tube (1/4") and on others you can get the bigger tube in there. When possible use the bigger one. A lot of the stuff I work with I can get the bigger one in there and it literally takes about 10 seconds to suck 2 quarts out.

Also a word of advice. When you are doing an oil change, let the motor sit overnight, don't start the engine, just suck the oil out cold. In doing it this way the spin-on filter won't have much in it and when you unscrew the filter from the block, you might get a drip and that's about it. Wipe it up with paper towel and you are good to go. Some motors don't have a spin-on filter so if yours doesn't you can do it cold or warm. I prefer warm (but not hot) if possible. Just makes the process go faster.

Now....I ain't trying to scare nobody but in my case I work with a lot of different kinds of equipment and there has been only 2 models that the evacuator doesn't work on. Both are side-by-side ATV''s and one of them...if you stuff the tube down the hole to the bottom of the pan, the tube hangs up on the crankshaft gear coming back and it won't come out; so on that one when I tried it the first time I had to pull the engine apart to get the tube back out. The other one, the dipstick is in a weird position and the tube won't go far enough to the suck all the oil out. Both are really not part of outboard motor discussion but I felt it worthwhile to mention it. I have never not been successful with outboards, ever.

Some folks have talked about how they don't get all the oil out but in my experience and testing, they get more out than normal draining does. In other words, suck as much as you can out then pull the drain bolt. Nary a drip. I even use mine on tractors (several gallons of oil in the pan in some cases) but it takes a while sucking through a 1/4" tube.

You will find a million uses for an evacuator....trust me. Brake bleeding, suck bad gas out, suck water out of the bottom of a gas tank, etc etc. It is an invaluable tool. Another side note on these....when an oil drain bolt is removed there is always a chance that someone has damaged the drain bolt and/or the threads in the pan/block. Then as the person who's currently doing the oil change in the traditional method, with damaged threads, when you remove the bolt, the responsibility falls on you since every single time when I call a customer to tell them, I am the one who's at fault. With an evacuator, this is a non-issue since you don't even touch the drain bolt.

Latest posts