Johnson 25 HP throttle grip question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

double5

Reaction score
Hello fellow boaters. I am pretty new to the forum and I think this is my first posting. I appreciate the community and have gained a lot of knowledge from these forums.

Question is about a 1986 Johnson 25 HP that I have had for about 2 years. It runs really well now that I have worked the bugs out but wonder if there is a way to adjust the throttle grip on it so it either does not spring back to idle (stays put) or to where the tension is not so strong to spring it back. After a while on the water this weekend where I was cruising, my wrist really started to pain due to having to hold that in a tensioned position for so long.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I have stuck a piece of shim stock in the linkage clamp before. But you've got me thinking, maybe a lever or paddle could be hose clamped to the grip to allow the heel of your hand to use a little leverage to hold the throttle open. That way the throttle would still have the ability to return to idle if your hand slipped or was knocked off.
75a6df1811fdaae7b253c5e470175578.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
I have stuck a piece of shim stock in the linkage clamp before. But you've got me thinking, maybe a lever or paddle could be hose clamped to the grip to allow the heel of your hand to use a little leverage to hold the throttle open. That way the throttle would still have the ability to return to idle if your hand slipped or was knocked off.
75a6df1811fdaae7b253c5e470175578.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Very good point. I was not crazy about defeating a safety mechanism. I just remembered my old 73 Evinrude 18 HP would stay put but the safety issues are apparent. Good idea on the lever. I will look into that.

Chances are you are just using a "Gorilla grip" and wearing out your arm muscles.

Just hold the throttle open rather than trying to make the boat go faster.

Does it use cables or a gear? If cables, have any pictures of how the throttle cables are set up? I have a 1992 15hp Johnson which has no spring back on the grip - just punch it and rest my hand on the top to gently steer (I always wear my kill lanyard).

Here is the ticket, I use one of this on my Harley. It's called a throttle rocker or cramp buster.
Google it. Fits on your grip with no tools! Slide that guy on and lay your thumb on it and go!
Some bike shops should have them in stock.
Don

Latest posts