2 stroke boat gas in a weed eater.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktoelke54

Reaction score
I was wondering if using my boat gas in my weed eater was a good idea? The mix ratio is the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a difference in the 2stroke oils because one is water cooled and the other is air cooled.

Generally, it is NOT recommended to use low ash TCW oils (W = water cooled) in air cooled engines, unless the oil is specifically rated for use in both water and air cooled engines (a few oils are). Air cooled engines run hotter and at higher RPMs, hence the specification for a different oil with different additives. Not saying one can’t get away with it and yes, I have done it but no longer do. My Husqvarna blower specifically says: "Never use two-stroke oil intended for water-cooled outboard engines, sometimes referred to as outboard oil." Ditto for my Ryobi weedwacker. A quick Google search can highlight the reasons in detail.

My old boat gas is all I use in my trimmer and leaf blower. Zero issues. Even put almost 6 gallons of nearly year old gas from the boat into my truck earlier this spring. Again, zero issues.

I hate to say this but oil in your gas will trash your catalytic converter, not a good idea!
Don

You are not supposed to. 2 stroke oils have different ratings for different applications.

That said, I have done it many times and not had any problems. My dad used TCW3 oil in everything for decades. One or two tanks is fine, but you shouldn't make a habit of it.