Jon Boat Outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass Guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a new user on this site and have a question. I've just bought a 15 foot waterfowler jon boat without a motor and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what would be most suitable for my needs. I'm primarily a bass fisherman and would be using this boat on lakes ranging from Lake Livingston to Fayetteville. The dry weight of this boat is 330 and it has a 16 inch transom, which would fit most short shaft outboards. I'm looking for a motor within the 25 horse range but I don't know if buying new or buying used would be better. I just don't want to get stuck with a used motor that doesn't work. Any input would be much appreciated, thanks for the help.

If you plan on keeping the boat long term, I would get a 4 stroke. Yea their pricey but they are much better for the environment than an old 2 stroke.

The Yamaha 4 stroke would be my choice for a new 25 hp. It’s reasonably priced and light weight. I have a 20 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke EFI that would push that boat ok and would both lighter and less expensive than the Yamaha. I’ve had good luck with used motors but do most of the maintenance and repairs myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ktoelke54 said:
The Yamaha 4 stroke would be my choice for a new 25 hp. It’s reasonably priced and light weight. I have a 20 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke EFI that would push that boat ok and would both lighter and less expensive than the Yamaha. I’ve had good luck with used motors but do most of the maintenance and repairs myself.

Is there any particular reason to buy Yamaha over Mercury? I don't have a problem with either company, but I was wondering if/why you prefer a Yamaha over a Mercury motor.

If your buying new - which I'd recommend if you can afford it, they are all pretty good nowadays. There is not really a " bad" brand of motor out there ( except the offshore no name stuff)
One thing to consider is where your most convenient dealer is located and how they treat you when it comes time for parts or service. Yamaha does have a little better reputation than the rest ( check out what most of the offshore boats run, as well as the northern outfitters) but I'd have no problem running a mercury.
Also, let it be known that tohatsu sounds like an offshore brand, but they actually make the smaller motors for Mercury and Evinrude.

Agree with Gypsy on dealer support and you can't really go wrong with any new motor nowadays. The new Yamaha 25 is the lightest 4 stroke 25 out there. The new four strokes are sweet for sure and if money allows, go that route. That being said, as a budget minded fisherman, I run older johnnyrudes. I've had a host of 20-35 HP motors pass through my hands over the years and currently run a 1983 Johnson 35 on my 16' boat. They are simple and cheap enough to work on if you're handy. If compression is good and it hasn't been overheated, coils, carb kit and impeller will make a good reliable outboard. I take mine on 3 day interior fishing trips here in Ontario and trust it to get me back home.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Bass Guy said:
ktoelke54 said:

Is there any particular reason to buy Yamaha over Mercury? I don't have a problem with either company, but I was wondering if/why you prefer a Yamaha over a Mercury motor.
Weight is the short answer. Small boats with a tiller motor end up heavy in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the help guys, I hadn't thought about dealer support but contacting dealers around me to get that fourstroke Yamaha is turning out to be more difficult than I thought. No one seems to have a motor that small! :lol: But seriously, thanks for all the help I'll continue to post on here once I get the motor to keep ya'll updated.

Good luck. I'm really itching to get a brand new 25hp 4 stroke too and know it's between the Yamaha and Tohatsu for me. Seems to be a trade off of weight for smoothness. One thing to keep in mind is that the Tohatsu comes standard with a big multifunction tiller while the Yamaha doesn't. I think the Tohatsu may be available in power trim on the short shaft models but don't quote me on that.

I have a Yamaha 2019 F25C on the back of a 1648 War Eagle. Depending on the load it pushes it around 27-28 mph with factory 11-1/4 pitch prop. The motor is turning around 5800 - 5900 rpms.

I also have a 2019 Tohatsu 20 EFI on the back of a Alumacraft 1442. It will pushes it around 28-29 with factory 12 pitch prop. This motor is turning around 6000 rpms.

Since your boat is in between my two boats in size maybe the above info will help if you are considering either one of these motors. They are both very solid motors and lightweight for their particular class.

blackshear said:
I have a Yamaha 2019 F25C on the back of a 1648 War Eagle. Depending on the load it pushes it around 27-28 mph with factory 11-1/4 pitch prop. The motor is turning around 5800 - 5900 rpms.

I also have a 2019 Tohatsu 20 EFI on the back of a Alumacraft 1442. It will pushes it around 28-29 with factory 12 pitch prop. This motor is turning around 6000 rpms.

Since your boat is in between my two boats in size maybe the above info will help if you are considering either one of these motors. They are both very solid motors and lightweight for their particular class.

I assume the Yamaha is a long shaft and the Tohatsu is a short but if they are both the same shaft length have you ever swapped them out to see how each performs on the opposite hull?

"I assume the Yamaha is a long shaft and the Tohatsu is a short but if they are both the same shaft length have you ever swapped them out to see how each performs on the opposite hull?"

You are correct the Yamaha is a long shaft and the Tohatsu is a short shaft. Also the 1442 is a much lighter riveted boat than the welded War Eagle so it would most likely require a prop change to swap engines. If you like speed the 25 on the 1442 would be an interesting setup. Either one of these motors should do fine on a 1448, depending on how fast you need to go. I would probably lean towards the 25 on the 1448 if it were me but I would make my decision based on the type body of water I was fishing.

blackshear said:
"I assume the Yamaha is a long shaft and the Tohatsu is a short but if they are both the same shaft length have you ever swapped them out to see how each performs on the opposite hull?"

You are correct the Yamaha is a long shaft and the Tohatsu is a short shaft. Also the 1442 is a much lighter riveted boat than the welded War Eagle so it would most likely require a prop change to swap engines. If you like speed the 25 on the 1442 would be an interesting setup. Either one of these motors should do fine on a 1448, depending on how fast you need to go. I would probably lean towards the 25 on the 1448 if it were me but I would make my decision based on the type body of water I was fishing.

I was just curious. Your performance on that War Eagle seems really good for a factory 25hp. I have been wanting to get a better performance hull like an Edge or something and pair with a 25hp for my hp restricted lakes but I prefer the layouts and somewhat lower cost of the War Eagle.

Hey Guys,
It's been awhile since my last post on here in regards to my motor and I wanted to let ya'll know what I'm probably going to go with. After looking for the 25hp 4 stroke from Yamaha and getting quoted anywhere from 3775 to 4200 for the same motor before TTL, I started looking at used motors. I've ended up on a used Tohotsu 2018 4 stroke 20hp motor that is being sold by a retired guy who used it as a backup/kicker motor. I'm driving next week to go take a look at it and will more than likely buy this motor. Is there anything ya'll know that I need to be watching for this motor in particular or just buying used in general? This guy that I'm buying it from says that it only has an hour on it and where he lives there is no saltwater so I feel pretty comfortable buying this motor. Anyways thanks for any help in advance, its been very helpful and I appreciate all the advice.

Can't offer much on what to check out when it comes to what sounds like a practically new outboard. Maybe check the oil to make sure it is not "making oil"....if it was a kicker and has barely any use it hasn't been broke in yet so if its been exclusively trolled with you may see that.

Other than that, if you decide to buy make sure you get the correct paperwork as that motor should have came with a 5 year warranty new which should transfer. Also, you may want to complete the break in process since it sounds like it hasn't been done yet.

I'm curious, what model Yamaha 25 did you get quoted on? I was just quoted $3500 for a new short shaft model with electric start, which equates to $3815 after tax. As far as I know that's out the door price but you never know what kind of fees dealers try to sneak on.

Tohatsu 20 is a good motor. Its an overachiever and you will probably be pleased with performance. Lots of them around here, I know of no issues.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Tohatsu builds a decent motor. There are a few things if you put it next to a Yamaha, that it doesn't have that the yamaha does, and vise versa. Exposed shift rod (from the lower pan down to the lower unit) on the Tohatsu. I didn't never have no problem out of the one I had but it was odd. It is also a little noisier than the 25 yamaha is. Power tilt is nice but it doesn't trim (tohatsu) so when you start to throttle up, you better have the motor where you want it because you can't "trim" it out any. You can trim "in" while under power but not "out". It's considered power tilt not power tilt & trim. It also shakes a little, but so does the 25 yamaha (EFI-the old carb version was really smooth, but also 50+ lb heavier). I didn't keep my tohatsu very long, certainly not long enough to play with props or setup, but it was slow on a 1448 Lowe. 24mph and struggled to get there; I think it needed prop work. Current boat is a war eagle 1548 and running a yamaha 25 efi, much more spirited and it's a heavier boat at 362 lbs. 30 mph if I air it out which is rare. My friend went with me the other day to the big lake nearby and he's about 240, I'm about 200, with the two of us and all our junk I was surprised to see 27.8mph repeatable maximum at 5900rpm. I think you'll like the tohatsu 20hp, but if you haven't run a yamaha to compare it with, you may not know what features that you might like better or worse.

The suzuki 25 is a nice motor, about 15-20 lb heavier than the yamaha is, but not much dealer support at least not around here. Not many suzuki motors at all around here and part of that is because it's duck heaven, and about the only suzuki you ever see is a DT25(C). Saw a 140 jet the other day on the river which didn't impress me any, was fast, made big rooster tail, but made a TON of noise too.

Hey guys,
Well the 20hp Tohatsu ended up being a dud, the guy selling the motor ended up not having the title in his own name, which for me is an automatic no. I've gone back to looking at the new Yamaha 25hp motor and am going to buy it soon.

If I was in your position I'd buy new also.

In my position I have wet the bed dreaming of a Jonnyrude 25 hp 3 cyl on my jon...

Latest posts