Johnson 25 Hp Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoke33

Reaction score
New guy here I recently picked up a 1993 J25 RETS. So far I have replaced the impeller and pump assembly, thermostat and currently rebuilding the carb. Another thing I have to do is replace the idle adjustment knob at the end of the tiller hand. What I need to know is how do I go about taking the handle apart to do so? I am attaching pics and from what I can tell there are two tabs. I have tried to compress them but have been unsuccessful to make any progress. Before I break something I thought I would seek help and guidance.
c2df09839670bc40ad005e4c1ddb7f64.jpg

145708cc028d5d9b6dd49f4eec3cf36f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are two round indentations with push tabs in them.

Alternately there may be pins in these same holes that just slip out.

I replaced mine and saw no noticeable benefit.

RaisedByWolves said:
There are two round indentations with push tabs in them.

Alternately there may be pins in these same holes that just slip out.

I replaced mine and saw no noticeable benefit.
So that idle adjustment knob has no benefit? If not I can just cut that jagged part flush and be done.

Not stepping on toes at all pappy.

Just musing on what I found to be true with my frankenmotor.

I did probably bypass mine at some point via another idle stop(I think), hell thinking back I may have never even tried very hard to get mine working, I just couldn’t stand the sight of it. :x So I changed it.

I have the new part so I guess I should just replace but I can seem to get the handle apart. I have pressed in the tabs but can’t seem to get any movement or progress. Any tips?

I got the exact same motor converted to electric start. Yea, the original is tough to get off. I had to get my son to push in on the tabs and I yanked. Put the new grip on and light greased everything with silicon grease. I didn't replace the idle adjustment and am attempting to use the idle adjustment screw. on the carb I also did the exact same service you did, but also replace fuel pump. Careful banging in those round disks on the carburetor. You only get 1-bang and it has to be good.

Carb kit showed yesterday and got that done. She is purring like a kitten so I am going to tackle the handle at a later time.
5fc8aec0b5d37605a244bb855501a0df.jpg

nccatfisher said:
Those were excellent motors in that era.
Prior to buying this a few weeks ago I have never worked on one. Years ago I would have had to pay to get this work done. With the help of YouTube it was a really easy process. It seems to be a nice simple design.
I paid $600 for the motor and have just under $100 in parts.Pretty happy. I even managed to score a brand new prop on Craigslist for $20.

I found an identical outboard to mine but in 30hp at a marina. I talked to the guy working and I can trade mine in plus $100 and upgrade from a 25 to a 30hp. Is it worth moving up 5 hp? One more thing, the 30 hp is a long shaft and my current 25 hp is the regular.
63bfb14f074aad886c250278ededacb6.jpg

It would be to me IF the 30 was in as good of shape as the one I had. That being said I don't know what you are putting it on so I don't know which is best for you long or short shaft.

nccatfisher said:
It would be to me IF the 30 was in as good of shape as the one I had. That being said I don't know what you are putting it on so I don't know which is best for you long or short shaft.
It’s going on the 14 ft 1990 Sylvan Sea Snapper in the picture above.

Took the motor out on the water for the first time. Can you look at the pics and tell me if the following is normal.
c9ea7dadf18b2d01c36ddb9ce5f815b6.jpg

Fuel accumulating when engine is tipped up.
699bd65121568739b421629dd84f53a7.jpg

Oil coming out of the little hole.

smoke33 said:
Took the motor out on the water for the first time. Can you look at the pics and tell me if the following is normal.

The fuel coming out when motor is raised is common, the float is out of position and it is flooding. Are you sure that is oil coming out on the foot or is it a combination of oily residue, carbon sooty deposit from the exhaust that has washed out? If so that is common coming out there, and that is exactly what it looks like to me.

And it appears to me you do not need a long shaft motor, so you would have to put a jack plate on to use that 30 or raise you transom. Don't know that it would be worth the effort.

nccatfisher said:
smoke33 said:

The fuel coming out when motor is raised is common, the float is out of position and it is flooding. Are you sure that is oil coming out on the foot or is it a combination of oily residue, carbon sooty deposit from the exhaust that has washed out? If so that is common coming out there, and that is exactly what it looks like to me.
Perfect! Thanks for your response!

Latest posts