Flywheel wobbling

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smutty

Reaction score
The flywheel on my 2006 outboard Yamaha 2 stroke 2 cylinder #25MSH is wobbling and seems to be shaking the motor I just did a good tune up on the motor and I torqued the flywheel down to the required specification at 70 ft pounds I’ll share a link to see what it’s doin.
https://youtu.be/r2kt9ZfifKI

Yeah that doesn't look right at all. It sounds good though, you'd think if it was hanging up on the key that it might throw the timing off. When you say you torqued it, did you actually remove and reinstall the fly wheel or just tighten the nut?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Not good!
If it were wobbling the same every revolution that would be one thing but it seems to come and go.
Do NOT run it anymore until you pull the flywheel and see what is going on. Could be tearing up almost anything below the flywheel.
Can you grab the flywheel and rock it up and down on one side or pull and push the flywheel to see excessive movement?

DaleH said:
nccatfisher said:
... get that flywheel off and find out what is going on ...
... before it flies OFF on its own :shock: !

Good luck and please tell us the diagnosis!
I had a late 70's 15 HP Johnson throw the flywheel off WOT and it scared the crap out of me. Upon inspection it did no damage but for the life of me I could not ever find the nut. All it took to repair it was a key and a new nut and I was back in business but let me tell you it will get your attention when that happens.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Yeah that doesn't look right at all. It sounds good though, you'd think if it was hanging up on the key that it might throw the timing off. When you say you torqued it, did you actually remove and reinstall the fly wheel or just tighten the nut?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Yes I pulled the puller, the flywheel, timing base, and the retainer, cleaned it all nice and shiny and put a thin coat of grease and retorqued it the other side of the flywheel did look a little messed up I’ll share a photo soon

nccatfisher said:
DaleH said:
nccatfisher said:
... get that flywheel off and find out what is going on ...
... before it flies OFF on its own :shock: !

Good luck and please tell us the diagnosis!
I had a late 70's 15 HP Johnson throw the flywheel off WOT and it scared the crap out of me. Upon inspection it did no damage but for the life of me I could not ever find the nut. All it took to repair it was a key and a new nut and I was back in business but let me tell you it will get your attention when that happens.
As soon as I figure it out I’ll let y’all know the problem I think it may be the flywheel it’s self underneath looks a little ruff I’ll share a photo soon

It the rubber piece I’m looking at it’s high like normal on one side than the other looks almost thinned down to the metal like something was eating it up

Attachments

• 8CE9E659-9F50-436D-BCD8-49AACAD6AE4F.jpeg
    8CE9E659-9F50-436D-BCD8-49AACAD6AE4F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 264
  • 4AD13B99-9235-4C6D-9BA3-8317BBDEC1E5.jpeg
    4AD13B99-9235-4C6D-9BA3-8317BBDEC1E5.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 264
  • 576DD0F6-7269-4B38-BE1F-5F48AD275050.jpeg
    576DD0F6-7269-4B38-BE1F-5F48AD275050.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 264
Cool flywheel. That must be why those motors run so smooth.

Typically, no grease is used on a shaft taper.

Hope you get it figured out soon.

I have never seen one like that but they obviously are a combination flywheel/vibration dampner. I am guessing there is a special tool needed to remove it and also guessing you probably used a conventional puller to remove it which probably is what caused your issue. turbotodd probably would be the most in the know to address this. If he doesn't see this and chime in I would send him a p.m.

nccatfisher said:
I have never seen one like that but they obviously are a combination flywheel/vibration dampner. I am guessing there is a special tool needed to remove it and also guessing you probably used a conventional puller to remove it which probably is what caused your issue. turbotodd probably would be the most in the know to address this. If he doesn't see this and chime in I would send him a p.m.

I will pm him I have another video of it I took the key out please watch lmk what you think https://youtu.be/hjYiGgWAO3s

https://youtu.be/hjYiGgWAO3s This is another video of me moving the flywheel it has no key in it I also have some photos I don’t know if it’ll help but it seems the flywheel is rubbing on the timing base so I put some masking tape on the rubbed parts put liquid tape on the masking tape and spun the flywheel on

Attachments

• 1BDEFC83-8626-4285-A552-705B4D92F329.jpeg
    1BDEFC83-8626-4285-A552-705B4D92F329.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 254
#-o

Attachments

• B7621560-5E71-42CF-8B01-045497475C77.jpeg
    B7621560-5E71-42CF-8B01-045497475C77.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 254
  • 35AD5581-D2EF-41D8-8BCD-5F1285F87C13.jpeg
    35AD5581-D2EF-41D8-8BCD-5F1285F87C13.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 254
Smutty said:

its-dead-jim.jpg

Time for a new flywheel.

Using a 3 jaw puller on that flywheel killed it, it takes a tremendous amount of force to pull apart that taper.

And as mentioned above, no grease on locking tapers.

Nevermind, I don't need a pic of the top of the flywheel, I froze a shot of it on the video.

I may be wrong but I think I know what has happened. I think you have to remove that starter assembly from the top of the flywheel and use a crows foot puller to remove that flywheel. I am guessing you used a conventional puller and pulled from the sides of the flywheel. If so you have inadvertently unseated that pressed in dampener. Todd can confirm but I believe that is the issue.

nccatfisher said:
Nevermind, I don't need a pic of the top of the flywheel, I froze a shot of it on the video.

I may be wrong but I think I know what has happened. I think you have to remove that starter assembly from the top of the flywheel and use a crows foot puller to remove that flywheel. I am guessing you used a conventional puller and pulled from the sides of the flywheel. If so you have inadvertently unseated that pressed in dampener. Todd can confirm but I believe that is the issue.
Tomorrow I’ll get a better picture for you but someone did some work to this engine and messed a bunch of stuff up I got it from my sisters house it’s been sittin idk for how long but I fixed it up pretty good the flywheel is probably the only thing I need to fix left atleast I hope so but when ever I removed I just grabbed a small pry bar and put it barley underneath where their was no moving parts and put the nut flush with the shaft while slightly putting pressure on it I tapped on the nut after about 3 taps it came up and I slipped it up and I firs show a photo of what everything looked like before I cleaned I knew something was messed up shaving everywhere and their was practically no key left a piece of it even pierced the little grommet or seal on the shaft

Attachments

• BC874CDE-723A-43FD-8395-BAA918E05004.jpeg
    BC874CDE-723A-43FD-8395-BAA918E05004.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 177
  • B929DA92-D2EE-4386-82B6-E4BA3C11EE5E.jpeg
    B929DA92-D2EE-4386-82B6-E4BA3C11EE5E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 177
  • 6108F232-1A7D-44A3-B2BF-43E7BBFC657C.jpeg
    6108F232-1A7D-44A3-B2BF-43E7BBFC657C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 177
RaisedByWolves said:
Smutty said:

its-dead-jim.jpg

Time for a new flywheel.

Using a 3 jaw puller on that flywheel killed it, it takes a tremendous amount of force to pull apart that taper.

And as mentioned above, no grease on locking tapers.
Yea I’m afraid it’s the flywheel too I’m been looking for a used one somewhere cause for 800-900$ I’ll just go buy another motor instead of a new flywheel and please explain when you say pull apart the taper I don’t know a whole lot bout flywheel

Latest posts