Evinrude Outboards is no longer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pappyfromthekeys
Evinrude outboards has announced that it will cease production of outboards.
I have been a long time believer that their head of Engineering would help sink this company the same way he took down OMC.
Sometimes I Hate it when I am right.
No need to pile on here......it is the end of a 111 year era that took folks boating, fishing, skiing, and enjoying family time together.
Sorry to see them go.

**** ... there goes my G2 200hp purchase ... At least they are honoring the 10-year warranties. Their newer G2s cannot be beat for performance, economy and even emissions, as the only way a 4-stroke can get cleaner is to add a huge/expen$ve catalytic converter to the 4S design.

But did you notice that Bombardier is not selling the patent/design/trademark rights to Evinrude E-Tec or G2 engines? Not sure what it really means for the long-term, but that means something ... just not sure what.

I have heard what some insiders think is going on with that but until it actually happens I sort of refuse to believe it. You will understand why if it happens! :?:

When you think about their impact on this country and the world it is amazing. Boat companies got started, dealers got started, Boat trailer manufacturers got started, repair facilities got started, aftermarket parts, skiing companies and manufacturers, fishing industry was enlarged, boat ramps, the face of waterfront changed, cruising changed forever from a rich man's sport to a common man's fancy, boat racing, competitive engine manufacturers, etc. Wonder just how many people this invention put to work when you think about it.

According to the article they BRP will be partnering with Mercury Marine to supply motors for their boats. Could lead to something more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is allegedly from the company conference call this morning:

Sebastien Martel -- Chief Financial Officer
Yes. Well actually on the OE business, there's actually two components; there's the unit business and there's the parts business. And the parts business is a business that we're going to be continuing. Obviously, we're going to be servicing our dealers for warranty but also for our consumers that are no longer under warranty but need service, so that business is going to keep going on.

As Jose mentioned, the unit business, so the actual engine, was a business that we were sub-scale. We've been losing market share over the last few years. And from a margin perspective, it's a business that was almost breakeven. And from a profitability, it was a business that was actually at a loss position, and that's why we took the decision to discontinue it.

When you look at OE in terms of the whole portfolio of our Marine segment, the engine business is about 45% of total revenues. So if you carve that part out, it should give you a good appreciation of what the remaining business is.

Weither your a BRP fan or not,I think the whole thing sucks, one less North American product to buy.
What's left, only 75hp and above Mercury's, manufactured here?
No smaller outboards, all Japanese or Chinese.

they had the opportunity to compete with the other brands' 4 stroke, and they poorly chose to continue with a heavy, overly complex 2 stroke design that costs more than a comparable 4 stroke.

Secondly, the 25hp market at least in this area has been on fire for many years, in other words a lot of dealers don't even carry 30+ or 20- motors, they carry 25hp because most of the lakes/rivers are fine to use a 25 on (with a few exceptions) a jon. Then duck hunting. Don't even get me started there. The 25 is king here. But when you have a $4800 etec 25 and burns oil and gas (although it mixes itself) and has a nasty tendency to eat fuel pumps every so often, and when you're out of warranty, $600 a piece for those pumps gets real expensive. It also weighs more than a 25hp yamaha, a lot more. If it were a few pounds it wouldn't be a big deal but close to 50 lbs difference? The entire allure of the 2 stroke outboard is lightweight, cheap and etec is not either one of them. Dealers are few and far between. Marketing them hasn't been great either, that's all they had to sell was "less complex" (which is a lie) X% fewer moving parts (which isn't untrue but they don't tell you the whole truth either) and it came back to bite them in the butt.

A lot of times you can look at the used market and see what is happening. A 25hp suzuki 4 stroke, 25hp yamaha 4 stroke, 25hp honda 4 stroke, you cannot find them at all on any of the marketplaces here, and if for some reason you do, they bring a lot more money (I sold mine for $2500, and it was approaching 20 years old). But you can find TONS of 25hp johnnyrude's and blown up etecs. I'd say dirt cheap but $1500 for a blowed up etec is not cheap. Most of the Johnny's are going for $800-$1200 if they're nice and they run. They aren't popular here. You rarely find a suzuki/yamaha/honda 4 stroke for sale because people keep them, they are mostly trouble free lifetime motors like the old johnnyrudes were. ETEC is not an old johnnyrude. It is a sophisticated fuel system and control system applied to an old school 2 stroke motor; which the complexities of the fuel/control systems is where the cost came in, but unfortunately because of government "push", the old carb omc 25hp 2 stroke motors had to go away and brp/etec decided to reinvent the wheel. Similar to jet ski markets, my old FICHT Kawasaki STX 1100DI was a smooth running engine but it was not popular due to cost of ownership as well as the then-new 4 strokes coming into the market, which blowed the old 2 stroke away in terms of responsiveness, smooth/quiet running, and most importantly fuel usage. An STX1100 DI would EMPTY the 14 gallon fuel tank in a little under an hour. TLDI is somewhat similar to the etec.

Couple rivers local are shallow and jets are popular. When you see a 2 stroke jet whether it be an etec or tldi or whatever, you can hear them for miles. The 4 stroke jets are noisy too but it's a different kind of noise; much more muffled. On those waters, yamaha owns the market, period. Rare to see any other brand unless it's a 9.9 or smaller, then you'll see a few old johnnyrudes and a few mercuries with a tohatsu throwed in once in a while.

Latest posts