Gamefisher 9.9 Any Good?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millerfish

Reaction score
I will start by saying I don't know crap about boat motors... So I have a couple questions.
I picked up 14' aluminum boat for my son to fish on, it came with a 1977 Gamefisher 9.9 217/58622-0. I was told it was only used a few times and has been sitting for 30 plus years. It is very clean and looks to have very little use. A little starter fluid in the carb and it fires. So I am assuming with a good service it will run.
Questions
Is this motor any good/Is it worth while servicing and get running?
Its going to be used by a teenager, will it be dependable?
What are you thoughts... Thanks

Gamefisher was a line of motors marketed by Sears.. they are extremely hard to find parts for.. considering it's over 40 years old, your probably better off Investing your time and money into a mercury, evinrude, Honda, yamaha or Suzuki... at least they still have an active dealer network.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

IF it is a '77 is will be made by Eska, so that will put you looking for parts that aren't exceptionally easy to find. If it were me I would seek out the forums where the folks that collect these particular motors and if it is in the shape you say you probably could move it at a reasonable price. Then I would look into finding a more up to date motor that I could find parts for and would be more reliable if it were going to be my child out on the water using it.

Some (their Force motors) are VERY temperamental in starting, due to their suspect CDI Ignition 'power packs', as in one day they start and the next day they don't. If it runs - good, but if intermittent - I sure wouldn't throw any $$ at it, at least as far as electronics.

Thanks for the input! That's pretty much what i was figuring. I guess i know what his birthday gift is gonna be....

One word of CAUTION. Do not pull the starter rope without the wires hooked to the spark plugs and the plugs grounded to the engine. Too large a spark gap will cause internal arcing and fry the CDI. A new CDI is in the $200 plus price range and the coils are non existent without modifying a coil from another application. I just replaced my coils with moped coils and hacked my broken CDI to trigger two Jog 50 Moped CDIs externally for about $38.00 total and some head scratching to make it work.

Latest posts