Who here uses a small outboard on their boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerider

Reaction score
I'm in the market for an outboard for my 12ft tin and am wanting something around 2 or 3 hp. I'm thinking I'd like something air cooled if possible and with the ability to hook up to an auxiliary fuel tank. For those of you who use a small outboard, how do you like it and what do you have?

Yep, those cheap air cooled motors on ebay are like fishing with a chainsaw in the boat.... Find a vintage 3 or 5.5 horse Johnson or Evinrude. They last forever.
https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/bpo/d/westmont-1958-evinrude-lightwin-3-hp/7142708320.html

Agree completely with 3 hp Evinrude/johnson. Only issue is the possibility of becoming addicted to them.

3hp on 12ft close.jpg

3hp on pec wake.jpg

EvinrudeDucktwin.jpg

Copy of Copy of three 3hp evinrude edit.jpg

Johnson_Seahorse-3-Ad.jpg

The three blue are 2 1956's and one 1954. Dunno about the Johnson.

Have fun.

Truly one of the finest small engines ever built in my opinion!
When they are tuned up properly you can put a finger on the flywheel hub near the center and let it rotate with the engine they will idle down so slow!
They are a two cylinder water cooled engine, quiet, dependable, last long enough to hand down to your grand kids.
Most of them do need to be run on a 24:1 mixture but when tuned put out very little smoke.
As has been said, the only problem with them is that you are likely to start collecting them!

Here is a sample of how one should run. Ben does a good no frills job at his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFpqjwNEoA

And a 5 1/2?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30SuOmF0gsk

DaleH said:
bikerider said:
I'm thinking I'd like something air cooled if possible ...
How's your hearing? Wear ear muffs ... you'll need it ... I find them UNcomfortably :shock: LOUD!

Lol. I'm glad I asked about them because I did not consider the noise :mrgreen:

Those vintage outboards are awesome. I will watch the videos when I have a moment.

CedarRiverScooter said:
You might also consider a trolling motor. Some of them have quite a bit of thrust.

I actually have a 27 lb minn kota on the boat now but really would like something that relies on gasoline rather than battery as my other motor. The lakes I fish aren't all that big but it's still nice to get across the lake faster than my current trolling motor when needed.

If you can run across a little 4 to 6 hp water cooled Johnson or Evinrude You will be happy. Just make sure you use the right oil-gas mix and pas it down to the grandkids.

nytebyte said:
If you can run across a little 4 to 6 hp water cooled Johnson or Evinrude You will be happy. Just make sure you use the right oil-gas mix and pas it down to the grandkids.

I'd prefer a 4 cycle

I’ve had one of the 3.5 Tohatsu 4-strokes. It was excellent. Had a little built in tank, maybe just a little over a quart. It took a long time to run through that much gas, basically a long wide open run. I just put a gallon of spare gas in the boat. You couldn’t burn a gallon in a day if you tried. I was using it on a large square stern canoe. I’ve gone on to larger boats and motors. But if you didn’t need to go faster than 6-8 mph and wanted to keep it simple, that motor was a great choice. It offered reasonable get there speed and was an a wonderful trolling motor. At idle it is very quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ktoelke54 said:
I’ve had one of the 3.5 Tohatsu 4-strokes. It was excellent. Had a little built in tank, maybe just a little over a quart. It took a long time to run through that much gas, basically a long wide open run. I just put a gallon of spare gas in the boat. You couldn’t burn a gallon in a day if you tried. I was using it on a large square stern canoe. I’ve gone on to larger boats and motors. But if you didn’t need to go faster than 6-8 mph and wanted to keep it simple, that motor was a great choice. It offered reasonable get there speed and was an a wonderful trolling motor. At idle it is very quiet.

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'm glad to hear that it was able to troll as well. Is your motor air-cooled or water cooled? I'm just curious.

bikerider said:
ktoelke54 said:

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'm glad to hear that it was able to troll as well. Is your motor air-cooled or water cooled? I'm just curious.
Water cooled

I'm looking at a Honda 5hp outboard that is in good shape with low hours on it. It's a long shaft motor. Am I asking for trouble if I get it? The boat it would be going on is a 12 starcraft with seats and other things for fishing.

bikerider said:
I'm looking at a Honda 5hp outboard that is in good shape with low hours on it. It's a long shaft motor. Am I asking for trouble if I get it? The boat it would be going on is a 12 starcraft with seats and other things for fishing.
Looking for trouble—not if your not exceeding the coast guard recommended max hp. Not if your boat has a long-shaft transom, 20” give or take. You can adapt a long shaft to a 15” transom, but it takes some work and modifications to your boat to get it to work properly.

ktoelke54 said:
bikerider said:
Looking for trouble—not if your not exceeding the coast guard recommended max hp. Not if your boat has a long-shaft transom, 20” give or take. You can adapt a long shaft to a 15” transom, but it takes some work and modifications to your boat to get it to work properly.

I had a feeling that was the case. It's under the max hp rating for the boat (10hp) but I think I will keep my eyes open for a different one.

I use a small 6 horse Mercury 4 stroke as a kicker motor on my trolling boat. The only thing I will tell you is this.. if i were to do it again I would get an 8hp minimum since all the 4 strokes smaller than that will be one lungers. Single cylinder motors create far more vibration than a twin. The 6hp shakes my 21' boat pretty good.

jethro said:
I use a small 6 horse Mercury 4 stroke as a kicker motor on my trolling boat. The only thing I will tell you is this.. if i were to do it again I would get an 8hp minimum since all the 4 strokes smaller than that will be one lungers. Single cylinder motors create far more vibration than a twin. The 6hp shakes my 21' boat pretty good.
I did not know that. Thanks for the tip. How do you like the Mercury other than that?

I'd much rather use my 1950"s Martin 40 2 stroke twin over my yamaha 2.5 four stroke. The wifey used to get a wet fanny with the yamaha...vibration was much. Both motors weigh about the same. I have worn out the yamaha 4 stroke in 12 years of use. Should have not sold the Martin and bought the Yami... 18' canoe with left side outrigger. Used the crap outa the Martin since I was a kid. Still is in use.

Latest posts