1998 Johnson 50HP - VRO question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
I'm trying to help a friend. My buddy has a 1998 Johnson 50HP with VRO. I've already seen a number of threads advocating for disabling the VRO system and just mixing oil with the gas. Most seem to have the issue of the system not delivering enough oil, but my friend seems to be having the opposite issue - too much oil.

He tells me that after a morning or afternoon of trolling, he has an oily mess running down the front of the engine. The engine seems to be getting oil (typical 2-stroke exhaust) but would like the eliminate this leak. Is this something that happens with these systems?

He took his boat to a local service shop but it has been sitting for 2 weeks and they haven't called him. He's ready to go get it if they haven't touched it. I'm trying to see if there is a DIY approach to get him back on the water.

Thanks!

In his case I would recommend disconnecting the oil side of the pump and mixing oil and gas in the boat tank.
The VRO pump is an excellent stand alone fuel pump. Both the oil pump piston and the large fuel pump diaphragm are powered by a huge diaphragm operated "air motor" similar in design to a vacuum brake booster in an automobile.
There is a stainless steel central shaft that connects all three segments together and all move as one.
In your buddy's case, after 22 years the oil side of his pump has developed a leak in one of the umbrella valves and oil can free flow into the fuel system when not being pumped. The repair is costly but the pump can be used for a fuel pump only and is a good one.
8/12/20 - I should have clarified that the pump rebuild kit and labor is costly but for pennies the oil side and wire connector can be disabled and then use the pump for a stand alone fuel pump.

I’ve never trusted them for one reason they lean the oil out at low rpms so when you idle around and dock the boat at slow speeds it doesn’t put enough oil on the crank and other parts. So if you park it for a while and don’t do proper storage on it you could have wear problems later. I took mine off completely and used a regular fuel pump. You will have to get new mounting screws they are 10-24 and however long you need for the pump gasket you get and get stainless. I found the screws at Truevalue hardware store. They are 59 cents for 2 inch stainless. So don’t buy the 12 dollar one from amazon lol. Good luck

you do realize an engine operating at low rpm doesnt wash the bottom end at all right? The whole point is to lean the oil mix at low rpm to prevent loading of the plugs and smoking at idle.

Your off-season comment has a bit of validity to it however it was clearly written in the OWNER MANUAL how to prepare the engine for off season storage. Pretty much the same procedure used and written before the VRO system came on the market.
As a lot of us know....this never happened. Who reads the Owner manual anyway!!
There is no need to remove the pump and replace it with a different style pump however as the VRO pump is a huge fuel pump. Larger than almost any other mechanical pump I am aware of. It is an excellent stand alone fuel pump and simple to convert.

Latest posts