New to Boating - Outboard Motor Question (help!)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efisher222

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and to boating more generally. My husband recently bought a 17-foot 1998 Glastron GS 180, and it's motor-less. We're looking to get an outboard motor (20 in shaft) and I'm wondering what would be a good HP for this boat. We're not looking to do any skiing/tubing, etc. Just want to cruise and enjoy the water. Max capcity of the boat is 8 people, I believe, and I think the boat weight is around 1,250lbs.

Hope this help? I'm very new to boating and not sure if I've given the right info, thanks all.

Maximum HP is 150. I believe the standard motor recommended is 90HP. Boat weight is 1425 and the boat is fiberglass, if it's helpful.

Pappy said:
On the capacity plate there should also be something about the maximum allowable horsepower for the boat?

Maximum HP is 150. I believe the standard motor recommended is 90HP. Boat weight is 1425 and the boat is fiberglass, if it's helpful.

A 115 would be a decent choice. A 90 would probably push it fine, even a 70 if it was just 2 people. If you go too small it will struggle and fuel economy suffers. A larger motor will have the power to pop it up on plane and throttle back to cruise. Also important to look at the weights of various motors. Motors are often made in families such as 70-80-90 for example, so it's beneficial to get the most powerful one for the weight. If you decide to go four stroke, keep in mind that weights are generally more than a comparable 2 stroke. I currently own only small outboards but fish with a friend out of a similar weight and capacity Lund with a Yamaha 115 and it's been flawless since 2000 and pushes that boat well even loaded. Good luck and welcome to the boating world!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I spent many hours in a boat like that for work, very stabil and seaworthy but HEAVY. If you are going to make any long runs or pull any tubes or skiers you better get as large as the data plate allows.

always use the rated maximum HP for the boat.

Of all of those those who didn't, the majority wished at some point during their ownership that they did. Myself included. Wish I'd have gotten a 21" transom and a 40hp. The 25 is fine for what I use it for, there have been about a dozen times that a little more torque would've been really nice to have. Plus, cruising at part throttle is quieter than having to run full throttle all the time even at the same speed.

Latest posts