Evinrude Model Year

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels Big

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am having trouble finding the model year for my - new to me - little 9.9. As you can see, the plate is missing / has been removed. I'm hoping some JohnyRude fans out there have an clue based just on photos. I have cruised though almost this entire site as well as LeeRoy's Ramblings and believe to have narrowed it down to between a 86 to 91 model just based on interior parts and configuration that I can remember

I am aware one could look at the freeze (welch) plug on the power head and get a serial number, which then is sent to "Bluewater Bill" over on the E-Nation forum. Through whatever sorcery or data chart he has available, he raddles off the motors model number and BOOM, Bob's your uncle.

Here's the catch, I'm currently enjoying a 'pleasure cruise' out on the USS Ike, and ceremoniously hit the 161 consecutive day at sea yesterday. That's a record these days, by the way. And so I am not able to get that number and have already tried to walk the Mrs. "Wheels" into finding it to no avail. Could I wait a couple months and just check it myself? Maybe, but I am trying to buy a service manual and all the applicable tune up parts beforehand so they are ready and waiting for me.

Thanks in advance!
and please disregard the absolute mess and the fact I used an old grill rather a proper engine stand :D

Attachments

• 2020-06-25 (2).jpg
    2020-06-25 (2).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 161
  • 2020-06-25.jpg
    2020-06-25.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 161
To me looks to be early 90’s I’ve had an 87 9.9 it was the light blue with emeblems like my 85 40 horse. Looks.similar to a 95 48 spl I had back in 1999. As you already know the welsh plug on the block is your best bet. Your best corse of action is to wait. Total bummer I know . It would suck to guess and be wrong. Thank you for your service sir! I hope you get to come home soon!

First, thank you for your service!

Second, in my opinion the best bet for parts will be www.marineengine.com, you’ll have them in days.

I’d say more 90s vintage, as I have a ‘96 and ‘98, both in that smoke gray color. But the cowling or hood latch throws me, as that is their earlier design; so maybe early 90s.

The decal set makes it an 89-91.

https://garzonstudio.com/store/1989-1990-1991-evinrude-9-9-hp-decal-set.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTldBsGx8Pc

But it looks like in 1990 they had a grey top ?.... so 89 is probably your best guess... Be aware that a lot of these motors got converted to 15hp...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xJ0khlWjJM

1991 lighter blue top .... Best guess 1989... keep in mind that a lot of these motors were fiddled with...

https://www.letgo.com/en-us/i/evinrude-99-1991_efe9b82a-6b81-4b75-90d0-6c4fc49a9a36

Thanks for the replies folks.

I've tried the decal route as well, even as far as asking them for their opinion. Currently waiting for a reply.
Leeroy's Ramblings was a HUGE help and I learned a lot about these. He posts tons of pictures and just going off memory of how things looked under the hood I was able to eliminate most years just based on the differences and similarities he was pointing out.

I also researched converting up to a 15 horse with a carb. I have nothing to compare it with and since its runs like an absolute Champ, I won't pull the carb to measure the throat diameter. For my use on a 61 Ward SeaKing 12 footer, 10 hp is plenty for what I need. And I don’t want to sacrifice my low end trolling just for a couple extra MPH up top.

I think Pappy and Shaugh nailed it with an 89. In the end, Wally is probably right about waiting, which is an absolute bummer.
I'll will update once I'm standing on dry land again.

Two Hundred and Six straight days at sea..

The ol Iron Ike decided enough was enough and pulled in last week and I'm finally back on dry land. Going through the wife's honey do list and finally had time for the Tinny. Got the number off the plug and should have an official answer for model year soon.
Also, my first attempt of winterizing an outboard was a success. Just have to remember next time that the fuel line is directional, and only works one way.. never going to get that 20 minutes back lol!
Anyways, thanks again to all on the site that kept me entertained while gone. I'll start a new thread once the real build gets started!

Pics for your enjoyment

Attachments

• 20200817_173721.jpg
    20200817_173721.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 72
  • 20200817_173739.jpg
    20200817_173739.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 72
  • 20200817_173759.jpg
    20200817_173759.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 72
  • 20200817_173817.jpg
    20200817_173817.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 72
Welcome home.... I wish we could report 8 bells and all was well... like when you left....

It's a whole new world. But honestly, not as bad as CNN made it seem, at least not around Chesapeake / VA Beach.
Save the bells, let's just raise the beers and say 'cheers'!