Manual tilt mercury/mariner on BIA transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven007

Reaction score
So, I have a FIsher Hawk 3v. I bought it needing a new transom board. Good plywood/Marine plywood is not available locally to me so I got some from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. I am epoxy encapsulating it, oversize drilling the holes and filling with thickened epoxy and drilling to size etc. etc. All the right stuff.

I got a 60 hp mariner triple with this setup. It has a manual tilt bracket with what appears to be an old school trim from like a Merc 500 added onto it. Two cylinders are mounted outside of the tilt pivot and the pump sits in the boat. I have seen lots of these on 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder tower of power engines. The mounting holes on the engine are basically 7.75 inches apart horizontal and 5.25 inches vertical. This kind of interferes with the brace which is bolted through the transom and to be honest I do not want to drill more holes through the skin. Like, really really don't want to.

I feel like this leaves me with four options: a jack plate/set back that is sufficiently large to have both patterns (I haven't found one), finding the proper trim mount (parts fiche surfing finds lots of donor engines with the correct bracket and trim setup), finding another engine setup entirely (simplest and I am currently actively looking), or building a set of adapter plates. I was considering two 1/2" aluminum adapter plates with countersunk bolts to attach to the engine and regular bolts through the transom. Thoughts?

So. This has resolved itself. The mariner had low compression on one hole, disassembly revealed a gouged bore. I have located an OMC 50hp twin which is both 35-50 pounds lighter and fits my transom directly.

Its a short shaft engine. It will most likely be parted out. The block will need boring, it will need two pistons (bottom bore is ok (not gouged but I have not measured for taper, roundness and actual bore but the piston it pretty worn), the upper bushings in the mid section, and several other odds and ends. I am 99% sure the trim setup will work on my 500 Mercury that I am gonna put on a not tinboats.net friendly 1965 Glastron Jetflite 143 :)

Latest posts