Alternatives to OMC branded grease?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z33tec

Reaction score
Just received my service manual for my 1990 70hp Johnson. Going through the manual, I see that it recommends 3 types of OMC grease to use.

1. OMC Griple Guard Grease
2. OMC Hi-Vis Gearcase Lube
3. OMC General Electric Versilube

Doing a quick web search, it looks like these aren't readily available and I'd probably have to pay a bit extra to order them online. Are there any more common marine grease's that can be used in place of these without any detrimental results? Something I could pick up at an AutoZone type chain store?

Also, the manual seems to be pointing to grease zerks for a grease gun but most of these OMC greases seem to come in little squeeze tubes. I'm guessing I will need a grease gun and grease tube to go with it rather than a little tube for surface application?

I apologize in advance if this is one of those "which brand of oil is the best" type questions :lol: . Being new in the marine space, I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on any special water specific additives or anything. I'm freshwater only if that matters as well.

The correct name is "Triple Guard" grease and it is one product I personally will not substitute! You can get the large squeeze tube for $13 delivered from eBay. Buy a screw-on grease gun adapter for $10 or so from a local Auto Parts supplier, but I have seen TG Grease in some local auto stores, at least those near saltwater boating areas, where I am.

FYI all OB makers sell their own version of the "blue-colored, synthetic, water-resistant grease" but the OMC/Bomb product is the best buy. Any of the 'foreign' OB makers sell it for a lot, lot more ... and it all comes out of the same factory.

You could use any premium gearcase lube.

I've never greased a starter pinion shaft in 50-years of boating and never will. I use a thin high quality synthetic lightweight oil, like Reel-X or Corrosion-X. But if I didn't have those I'd have no reservations using good ol' BreakFree CLP or a fine sewing machine oil. FWIW I've never had a starter issue, nor have my brothers and we've run multiple dozens and dozens of OBs over the years and sometimes up to a dozen just between us in the same season, most in saltwater service too. Works for me/us ...

DaleH said:
The correct name is "Triple Guard" grease and it is one product I personally will not substitute! You can get the large squeeze tube for $13 delivered from eBay. Buy a screw-on grease gun adapter for $10 or so from a local Auto Parts supplier, but I have seen TG Grease in some local auto stores, at least those near saltwater boating areas, where I am.

FYI all OB makers sell their own version of the "blue-colored, synthetic, water-resistant grease" but the OMC/Bomb product is the best buy. Any of the 'foreign' OB makers sell it for a lot, lot more ... and it all comes out of the same factory.

I've never greased a starter pinion shaft in 50-years of boating and never will. I use a thin high quality synthetic lightweight oil, like Reel-X or Corrosion-X. But if I didn't have those I'd have no reservations using good ol' BreakFree CLP or a fine sewing machine oil. FWIW I've never had a starter issue, nor have my brothers and we've run multiple dozens and dozens of OBs over the years and sometimes up to a dozen just between us in the same season, most in saltwater service too. Works for me/us ...
Thanks for the well thought out response Dale! My mistake, was a typo in the "T"riple Guard Grease.

I'm all for using quality products so looks like I'll be ordering some of that for sure. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the well thought out response Dale! My mistake, was a typo in the "T"riple Guard Grease.

I'm all for using quality products so looks like I'll be ordering some of that for sure. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I know this is an old post but what is everyone doing with this new formula of Triple Guard? Does it work as well? It doesn’t seem as tacky and I ran out while getting things ready for the season. Any suggestions?

I have triple guard grease, and it's virtually the same as the marine grease for my grease gun. So I use grease-gun grease in a pinch, and see no difference in performance. It's just easier using the squeeze tube.

If you look in any OMC manual, there are many, many places.

Basically, it's waterproof grease used to lubricate and corrosion-protect almost everything on the outside of a motor. Swivels, pins, slides, props, mechanisms - all over the place, really. Many, many instructions say something like, "Apply a film of triple-guard grease, then install" or something to that effect, depending on the part.