Grease, grease, and more grease!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z33tec

Reaction score
So I was going through some routine maintenance in my service manual and decided to grease all the zerks I could find from the photos it provided. Most were pretty minor except the one in the middle that I really needed to pump for a while before I got some grease to come out. Is this the most common one I should be checking to make sure it's fresh? Not sure how often the previous owner did it. Pic for reference on which one I'm referring to. I want to say the manual lists it as the "Swivel bracket".
grease1.jpg

There was another one that I found that was kind of behind and underneath the carbs. I couldn't figure out if this one is pointed out in the manual as some of the pictures are fairly small. Looks like a grease zerk to me though. Kind of hidden under the motor a bit. Assuming I should grease that bad boy with some OMC Triple-Guard grease? It's a 1990 70hp Johnson fyi.
needgrease.jpg

I hit them all ... BEST on a very warm day and grease until you see grease weeping out 'somewhere' else. It is common on the steering swivel to see some water come out before grease, as it fills from below (to 'float' any accumulated water on top of the grease protecting the swiveling parts).

DaleH said:
I hit them all ... BEST on a very warm day and grease until you see grease weeping out 'somewhere' else. It is common on the steering swivel to see some water come out before grease, as it fills from below (to 'float' any accumulated water on top of the grease protecting the swiveling parts).

Today was a good day to do it then. 90+ all week :shock: