Mercury 50 hp wot rpm range?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasRam

Reaction score
Hello All,
Just finished my build and I also rebuilt the 1983 Mercury 2 stroke 4 cylinder that was on the boat when I bought it. I rebuilt the carbs and replaced the stator and trigger and it's now running like new. I was able to attach a tach to it tonight and I was running at between 5300- 5400 rpm at wot doing 25.4 mph. I currently have a 3 blade 13 pitch prop on it. Does this sound like it is in the appropriate range? I was given a brand new 10 pitch prop that will fit my motor...but I'm unsure as to whether or not I should give it a try.. I can't seem to find the range online for this motor.
I should also mention that I'm only finding charts for 1991 and up motors. Mine is a 1983 model 1050623

I did have a load close to the max I'll ever have , 2 adults and two small kids.

Honestly, how hard would it have been for motor manufacturers to put a gear shift on for loaded and unloaded? I know I could sure use it!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

That RPM sounds alright.. your over 5k, but less than 6k so your in the powerband.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

RPM sounds perfect.

I looked for an after market tach for an old 2 stroke and gave up the search. This was a 2 cylinder that shared one coil so it would spark 2x for every rotation as opposed to 1 x for every 2 rotations for 4 strokes. I never found one that would do what I wanted. What did you use?

Can’t find an 1983 Merc 50hp, but their other 2-strokes are 5,500 maximum RPMs. I always pitch small boats to be no more than 100 RPM off MAX ...

https://www.kirschbaum.at/ki_prop/pdf/2015/RPM%20Chart.pdf

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Honestly, how hard would it have been for motor manufacturers to put a gear shift on for loaded and unloaded? I know I could sure use it!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Some Suzukis uses a gear reduction in the mid..could be done there with a 2 speed in-out box..