9.5 head gasket

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 21074

Reaction score
This new to me 9.5 is running with new impeller and a good carb cleaing.One thing I did notice when I got it was the gunk/crude around the head gasket.Is this a sign of over heating or someone may have replaced it and used some sort of gasket sealer on it and it oozed out and got hard?

Attachments

• head gasket 2.jpg
    head gasket 2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 167
  • head gasket.jpg
    head gasket.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 167
Looks like a combination of things.

Sealant oozing out anold with some minor corrosion due to the edges of the castings being exposed to the elements over time.

If its not leaking I woudnt worry too much about it.

RaisedByWolves said:
Looks like a combination of things.

Sealant oozing out anold with some minor corrosion due to the edges of the castings being exposed to the elements over time.

If its not leaking I woudnt worry too much about it.

Thanks..don’t see any leaks.

Mine looks exactly the same on my 9.5, and it has decent compression with cheap harbor freight gauges (65 psi).

-Kurt
1436 PolarKraft & 9.5 Evinrude

65 isn't decent, most will not run reliably at that. I would throw that gauge away if the motor was running because I would suspect it was off by at least 20#.

nccatfisher , I am gonna lean on Leeroys ramblings and say for this motor that is 57 years old, it is decent. It starts on 3rd or 4th pull every time. I am not a professional mechanic, not gonna spend big money on compression gauge set that I rarely use.

"A normal compression reading of 65# to 75# appears to be fine for this motor"

-Kurt
1436 PolarKraft & 9.5 Evinrude

That is your choice, I guess that would be much like keeping dual element light bulbs that had one element burnt out just in case you need them. But rest assured a TRUE reading of 65-75# is right at the bottom of what one of those motors will run RELIABLY at.

Being a professional mechanic or novice really makes no difference using faulty equipment won't get you good results. If you think it will, use a cheap or out of spec. torque wrench on bearings. It doesn't matter if you are a shade tree mechanic or building AA fuel dragsters. You won't be doing it long.

Latest posts