How much us to much weight for an outboard?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgpjr49

Reaction score
I have a new war eagle 542 on order and was looking into what outboard to install on it. I like the new Tohatsu 25, but it weighs close to 180lbs (electric start, pt&t, long shift model) add battery and breakaway plate closer to 225lbs for motor & accessories. How much is to much weight for an outboard? I see everyone talk about the 2 strokes being lighter and I'm sure that helps with load and speed, but at what point is an outboard just to heavy. New to the bigger outboards after I sold my last boat with a 9.9hp. Any advice or knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated. (Yamaha 25hp is lighter, but its an extra $1000 for the pt&t upgrade once said and done)

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I would not run anything smaller than a rated for 25HP. The weight of a trolling motor and a group 31 battery up front will help the balance.

I just replaced my 8 year old East Penn Mfg AGM group 31 trolling motor battery with a new one. Just the battery alone weighs 91 lbs.

I wonder if that extra 100 pounds for a 25hp over a 20 hp will be worth the extra money? Everybody claims that Tohatsu 20 is a strong performer.

Possibly. I haven't looked into a 20hp. Everyone has always said max out the HP unless there are restrictions. My plan to help offset the weight was to have the storage box up front and move the gas tank up there as well. I'm only planning on one battery at the moment and would rather have it closer to the outboard than trolling motor.

yeah that tohatsu is a pig. it runs good but it's a pig. reliable too for the most part

remember that tohatsu also builds mercury's 25. etec is gone so that leaves suzuki and yamaha, both are good motors but i like yamaha in general (not just outboards)--for a lot of reasons

yamaha is just a little over 125 lbs, 25hp. look into it if you haven't already. i have one on my 548 war eagle and love most everything about it, zero issues, about 50 hours on it now. tops out at 34 mph (GPS) but it's no longer mounted directly to the transom, it's on a cmc pt35 that i picked up on the used market. on the transom, 30mph with 11" pitch turbo hotshot, which performed well all-around. Now using a 12" hotshot and still running 6100+ with a light load

suzuki vs yamaha I like the yamaha's tiller better but the suzuki idles a tad better. Suzuki felt weak from idle to plane, once on plane it felt normal. yamaha jumps right up on plane and runs just like the suzuki from 16-30 mph (on plane).

with covid i don't know what kind of availability there are with any of the brands i no longer work at a dealer, changed careers and besides the old dealer quit selling outboards/boats because there aint no money in them--or so they said (It's a lie....one of many from the gm). They made $20 on a loose 25hp motor (no boat) but I know what they were invoiced for the boat, and thats where they made money--unfortunately they couldn't get many boats because they didn't advertise

Lot of people are still living in the past. When 4 strokes first came out they were HEAVY, not so much compared to 2 strokes the same size anymore.

the war eagle hull was originally designed around a Yamaha outboard, from the get-go. Back then you had a choice between a 3 cylinder 25hp and a twin cylinder/twin carb 25. Both mount the same way and sit on the transom exactly the same so it was "pick one".

war eagle's hull design is a great (perfect??) combination for hunting AND fishing; it does both pretty good. Notice that I said it doesn't do both perfectly because if you want a duck boat, you're looking at a different hull, and if you are fishing only, you're looking at a wider and probably longer hull, glass is the way to go if one can justify it. But the war eagle is probably the best compromise between the two. It pairs wonderfully with yamaha outboards because it was designed with yamaha in mind. The little twin cylinder was about 115 lbs; the 3 cylinder was a little north of 130 lbs as I recall, but was manual start only which many didn't like and rightfully so. The new 4 stroke 25hp is, as said, a shade over 125lb so a little lighter than the old 3 cylinder, and uses way less than 1/2 of the fuel, doesn't fog the air with oil smoke on first start, starts instantly even if you pull the rope instead of pushing the button. Best of all it mounts exactly the same as the old 2 strokes did. Actually most of the lower unit is extremely similar to the old twin carb 2 stroke, same water pump impeller, same propshaft, etc etc. I think the housing is the same, just a slightly different color. It runs better than the old twin carb 2 stroke did too. More responsive down low, variable trolling speed from 700 rpm to 1150 rpm in 50 rpm increments, at the push of a button, and it happily idles down to 700 with no issue whatsoever.

That said my dad has a yamaha F20 on his boat and it runs just fine. There are things I absolutely love about it and things I don't love. The negative is the tiller is a little short and it's not angled toward the operator nearly as nicely as my F25 is, but it IS a little quieter running (just a little), and it may be ever so slightly smoother at low idle, and that's splitting hairs. But it's down the 5 hp and you notice it. It doesn't have the torque to get up on plane and top speed is down about 3-4 mph on average. BUT....if I am reading properly the old style F20 (carburetor) is gone and is now the exact same motor as the F25 EFI, but 5 less horsepower. So there might be something there to look at....dunno...I'm out of the outboard business, for now.

TurboTodd, knowing everything you do about the yamaha 25, would you go ahead and get the upgrade for the stock pt&t (I know there's a lot to it and can get pricey) or just get the non pt&t version and buy an aftermarket pt&t? After reading reviews, a Bobs pt&t seems to the the tickets as far as aftermarket, but something in the back of my mind tells me getting a yamaha pt&t would be better in the long run. I've seen a lot of negative reviews on the CMC.