Is my spark good? Does color of spark matter?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z33tec

Reaction score
I bought one of these OTC 6589's (OTC 6589) to test my spark to make sure I'm good with plugs/wires/coils/etc.

All 3 of the wires produces an orange looking spark. Can I check off my spark as being good or should I be seeing a blue spark? I've read a few things that says spark color matters and it should be blue. Does it matter in this case?

Also, it's a 1990 70HP Johnson.

z33tec said:
I bought one of these OTC 6589's (OTC 6589) to test my spark to make sure I'm good with plugs/wires/coils/etc.

All 3 of the wires produces an orange looking spark. Can I check off my spark as being good or should I be seeing a blue spark? I've read a few things that says spark color matters and it should be blue. Does it matter in this case?

Orange is usually a weak spark. You'll need to get a DVA rigged up to check CDI ignition systems.

What kind of problem are you trying to troubleshoot?

MrGiggles said:
z33tec said:

Orange is usually a weak spark. You'll need to get a DVA rigged up to check CDI ignition systems.

What kind of problem are you trying to troubleshoot?
Not starting/ hard to start.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It is a bit more simple than that. The spark gap is more informative than the color of a spark. If your system will generate spark that will bridge a 1/4 - 3/8" gap you should be good to go.
What I will say about color is that a blue looking spark is generally a fatter and healthier spark and will probably bridge a wider gap. If I knew how to post small clips from videos I have taken on my cell phone I would show some very healthy systems. One from a belt drive magneto ignition system on my 1962 V-4 Johnson 75hp and another from the 6V model T coil on my 1913 Evinrude Row Boat motor. That one will send you into orbit if you get nailed by it.