Force 70 HP 1992

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1648grizz

Reaction score
Got a free boat,17' Capri on a galvanized trailer with a 70 Force outboard. Took carb off and cleaned, that it didn't need, hooked it up to a fresh gas can and it started right up. The boat has been sitting for 15 years and it runs great and pumps water. Anyone here have a 70HP Force ? Are they any good ?

Pappy said:
Good score on a freebie. Do yourself a huge favor and at least change the water pump and gear oil.

Definitely, plugs and wires also.

Attachments

• 20201127_161606 (2).jpg
    20201127_161606 (2).jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 133
To my knowledge that era Force was just a rebranded Merc with different ignition. Good motors, but parts availability is not a guarantee.

I had a 1994 model and it had loads of issues lol. That said, it was very easy to work on but ultimately mine needed rebuilding which isn't a justifiable repair for those.

My only word of advice outside of regular outboard care would be to not lean out the carb too much. Being a single carb on a larger displacement 3 cylinder motor you can get a condition where the top cylinder runs really lean while the bottom two are ok and it can cause top cylinder to fail. The consensus I gathered from the Force specific forums on other sites was never to run the mixture screw less than 1 full turn out from lightly seated. If I recall mine liked to be at about 1 & 1/4 turns out.

wmk0002 said:
I had a 1994 model and it had loads of issues lol. That said, it was very easy to work on but ultimately mine needed rebuilding which isn't a justifiable repair for those.

My only word of advice outside of regular outboard care would be to not lean out the carb too much. Being a single carb on a larger displacement 3 cylinder motor you can get a condition where the top cylinder runs really lean while the bottom two are ok and it can cause top cylinder to fail. The consensus I gathered from the Force specific forums on other sites was never to run the mixture screw less than 1 full turn out from lightly seated. If I recall mine liked to be at about 1 & 1/4 turns out.

Thanks for that info. Do you know what pitch prop you had and on what boat and what was your top speed ? Thanks.

1648grizz said:
wmk0002 said:

Thanks for that info. Do you know what pitch prop you had and on what boat and what was your top speed ? Thanks.

It was on a 17' aluminum bass boat. I think it had a 14" pitch aluminum prop and was running about 41-42 mph.