NEW MOTOR Break In

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookie1719

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So, I went and made the best decision (in my opinion) bought an electric start outboard :D Suzuki Fuel Injected 15 HP. My question for the experienced group, is how to break it in properly. Yes, I have read the website and the process they have posted. My question is, can you do this process on the stand? Or does it have to be on the boat for the weight/on the water? Just curious... the motor should be here by March, but open water won't be possible lol.

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives some tips/advice.

On the water for sure.. the idea of break in is to put the motor under load and seat the rings to the cylinders. What I find works well is when driving the boat, put it half way on plane ( bow up in the air) and hold it there a minute or so at a time. This would be the maximum load on the engine. Avoid extended idling and maximum rpm runs .

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

A few years back, I bought a brand new Suzuki df30a. Very pleased with the motor and performance. Smooth, quiet and sips gas.
The owners manual will describe the break-in procedure and other good information.
If the motor is being shipped to you, be sure to add oil.
Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk