Could use some help identifying old motors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankenfish

Reaction score
Found a guy selling 5 antique outboards yesterday, $20 dollars a piece. The catch was that you had to take them all. It's the plain truth, but did warrant an eyebrow raised from my wife.

I could use some help identifying these, especially this one that I can't find any markings on.
20210402_112817.jpg
20210402_112813.jpg

I've been able to find out a bit more about the others.
Evinrude Mate 1.5hp, 1969. Looks like it's never been used. I'm most excited for this one.
1960 Johnson CD-17 5.5hp. Looks to be locked up pretty tight
Goodyear Sea-Bee model 025-3554 (could be 025-3564) and I'm not sure where to find resources/possible diagrams on this one. Per seller, ran but leaked fuel from the carburetor.
5hp Firestone I believe to be a 1958-ish based on the stock number. I believe the seller said he ran it at one point. Have the cowling, but it doesn't like to stay on.
20210402_112830.jpg
20210402_112823.jpg

That's about it - I'd like to try and get them running if possible, but won't hold my breath. I think of this as more of a learning opportunity without much lost if it goes horribly wrong. I have two buddies that could use an outboard <5 hp so if they run, they would go to a good home. Last choice is I may pretty one up and hang it on the wall or part non-working ones out to antique outboard enthusiasts.

Anything else I need to know? Can they all use modern lower unit oil? I'm assuming most of these need a 20-1 oil to gas ratio (or at least won't be hurt by running it oil-heavy for trying things out, right?).

Also please tell me if I'm in over my head and need to donate these to a museum or at least a more knowledgeable antique ob enthusiast.

Thanks!

Think I found the Goodyear Sea Bee, it's either a 49 or 50 5hp. Must be the 025-3564 rather than 3554. Not finding any results for the latter.

The two pic up top look to be of a Neptune? Not sure.

Pretty much anything and everything you want to know or need for these can be found at www.aomci.org
There are a bunch of knowledgeable folks over there who can help you.
The Johnson 5 1/2 will definitely have to be run on a 24:1 mix at the leanest. NO 50:1 in that engine.
The little 1.5HP johnson can be run on a 50:1 mixture however I would run it on a mix somewhere around 32:1 - 40:1 as these were not known to have great ring seal or piston fit.

Pappy, I think you're right. I found some writing for F-109 and R E Phelon on the flywheel. Best I can tell is that makes it a Neptune.

I appreciate the advice, I've already been tripped up by the 1.5's single lower unit oil drain.

AOMCI has been a great resource, I would like to attend one of the meets for the chapter in NW Missouri. They seem reasonably active.

Aomci members are a good lot of folks and would welcome you to any of their meets. By all means go to one and meet as many folks as you can. I guarantee there will be plenty of offers to ride in boats powered by engines you have never seen before. Take them up on it and enjoy. Life is short and getting shorter by the day!
Warning.............This "hobby" is inexpensive for the most part but addictive!
I currently have over 125 engines, 7 boats to run them on, and a wife that loves the antique outboards and boats as well.

I have a 1929 Johnson that is very similar to the first one, but Johnson Outboard Motors is cast into the fly wheel. It could a knock off of Johnson like Elgin or one of the other early engines in the 1930s.

Latest posts