Bent prop shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone dealt with one before? Backstory:

A good buddy of mine who is an avid female fisherman got taken pretty hard buying her first boat, a 1996 Spectrum 14' side console with a 25hp Merc on a trailer. Now I am not happy since she did not have me come with her to inspect the boat before purchase, but the deed is done. Boats go fast especially this time of year, she admits she was impulsive and unfortunately it's going to cost her. Well, I felt really bad for her, this guy charged her all the money for it, so I'm helping her out. She called a few marinas and they are booking repair work for June.

The boat has numerous problems that need to be fixed, the worst of which is a bad prop shaft. It's severely bent, I measured more than 3/4" of runout on it. Worried about the rest of the gearcase, I took it apart but the gears look perfect. It didn't even look like the seals ever failed, although I will be replacing them.

Motor is a '96 Mercury 25HP 2 stroke and I just want some advice before I go to the marina to see about parts. Can these be reliably trued? I imagine that is expensive and not without risk. To buy a replacement, should I stick to Mercury OEM or can I get by with an aftermarket replacement? Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look online if I am taken aback by the marinas parts costs?

I've dealt with just about everything else on my own boats, including bending one slightly bent back to within spec myself, but this one is WAY too far bent for me to tackle.

Ebay for a replacement shaft.

Can it be straightened?

I know I could do it if the bend didn't affect a bearing surface.

Would I trust just anyone to do it?

No sir!

ETA: Im not sure youll find an aftermarket replacement for something like this.

Apparently 3/4" out is too much to cold straighten.

I know the Mercury OEM one is like $800, but a Sierra is like $200. Only have to see what is actually available.

I'd be looking on eBay or local hoarder style marine repair guy. Motor 25 years old, there's bound to be a parts motor around.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Online-----Marine engine parts or Crowley marine may be of some help if buying new, I have ordered from both.
Yea, marine parts sure as heck aren't cheap, and some labor rates aren't either depending on the dealer, in our area they range from $60-$125 per hr.
Hate to hear that your friend got hosed, if the seller knew that the prop shaft was bent, and knew the repair cost, he probably unloaded it ASAP hoping the buyer wouldn't notice it and it then becomes "as is", and tough S***!!!
Agree with others, e-bay if anything is available, possibly Craig's list also under boat parts, might be a whole LU available cheaper than just the shaft.

Well, ordered up a brand new OEM prop shaft to the tune of $362. Also a seal kit and a bunch of other parts. She needed remote control cables, a new zinc trim tab, a new prop and some fluids and $750+ and a whole bunch of my labor and she is back in business.

Buyer beware and if you don't know what you are looking at... bring a friend that does!

Good for you for helping out a fellow fisherman. Those "good deals" are only good if you know how to fix stuff!

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Good for you for helping out a fellow fisherman. Those "good deals" are only good if you know how to fix stuff!

The thing is, it wasn't even a good deal. This guy charged top dollar for what would be a good running boat. But it's buyer beware! If you don't know what you are buying, make sure to bring a friend that does!

Well, let's hope that NOW, she has something that'll provide good service, for quite some time for her.

Many thanks to a helpful neighbor and friend.

Roger

If the OEM shaft is $800, you can get a used 25hp motor in good condition for that price. Whatever bent that shaft put a lot of stress on everything else. I would probably part the motor out and look for a different motor.

maintenanceguy said:
If the OEM shaft is $800, you can get a used 25hp motor in good condition for that price. Whatever bent that shaft put a lot of stress on everything else. I would probably part the motor out and look for a different motor.

Yeah, that!

Not being too familiar with OPs situation, I would have searched for a parts motor (Around here $100 parts motors are common) and either used the shaft/lower unit out of that or tried to get that one running.

I suggested she look for another motor, in fact I urged her to look for another boat. But the math doesn't really agree.

The new OEM prop shaft only cost $362. I took the lower unit apart and checked the gear set and driveshaft and it's all in perfect shape. The motor runs very well and the driveshaft is true. I could have found another lower unit for around $600 and that would be used and could have needed work in it's own right. Around here in the Northeast where we are that motor is worth $1200 used, that's if you can find one and it could still need work. We felt the new propshaft at $362 was the best course of action. It needed a new prop, that isn't cheap on those small motors because the hub is integral. My big prop for my 150hp V6 is cheaper. She needed control cables, the seal kit for the lower unit and a new zinc anode/trim tab and she'll be good to go. The parts are already ordered and on the way.

Hummm! A good female buddy of yours who has her own boat and is an avid fisherman, is she single!!!! :lol:
Kudos to you for helping her out, at least that took some of the pain out of getting that boat back to where it should be. =D>

Reminds me of something years ago!
I bought a spare 220 Muncy 4 spd. out at Carlisle pa, when I went to install it it would not go fully into the clutch splines and seemed to bind up about an inch to 1 1/2 inches short of the bell, must have lifted and removed it 4-5 times, checked the alignment with a spare pilot shaft and all looked good, WTH!
FINALLY, started really looking hard at the splines of the pilot shaft on the trans. they were twisted just enough to cause them to bind and barely noticeable, I would pretty well bet that the guy that sold it knew that. SO, had to rip the trans. apart and buy and install a new pilot shaft, not sure, but I may still have that trans. in the car to this day!!!

jethro said:
I suggested she look for another motor, in fact I urged her to look for another boat. But the math doesn't really agree.

The new OEM prop shaft only cost $362. I took the lower unit apart and checked the gear set and driveshaft and it's all in perfect shape. The motor runs very well and the driveshaft is true. I could have found another lower unit for around $600 and that would be used and could have needed work in it's own right. Around here in the Northeast where we are that motor is worth $1200 used, that's if you can find one and it could still need work. We felt the new propshaft at $362 was the best course of action. It needed a new prop, that isn't cheap on those small motors because the hub is integral. My big prop for my 150hp V6 is cheaper. She needed control cables, the seal kit for the lower unit and a new zinc anode/trim tab and she'll be good to go. The parts are already ordered and on the way.

You did fine. It's the devil you know versus the one you don't.

BTDT with used lower units, bought a "pressure tested, inspected, ready to run lower unit" on ebay, bolted it up, pulled the drain to fill, and it was full of oil and a cup of water. :evil:

Nope, she's been married for 20 years! But he doesn't fish and she is addicted.
[/quote]

DARN!!!! :lol:
Several years ago we ran into a young girl and her dad at a tough to fish river, I would say she was around 20, she had caught 3 trout from that river where a lot of guys either end up with 0 or 1, I was impressed!!! She had one of those fine mesh nets, 2 spinners were totally entangled in the net, and the third one was still attached to the line and also entangled in the net! #-o
Someone taught her right, but she definitely needed a different net.

jethro said:

Man, Im going to start importing used motors up to your area.

I usually pick up OMC 25-35hp motors for $100-200 once or twice a year and fix them up to flip.

Matter of fact there is a 25hp merc electric start on CL near me for $200, but I dont like working on mercs so Im going to let it marinate till the price comes down.

jethro said:
RaisedByWolves said:
Man, Im going to start importing used motors up to your area.

Yeah, a late 90's 2 stroke, 25 horse remote with controls in good running condition with a decent prop would be probably $900 on Craigslist up here.

Pretty close to the same here.

Paperwork is the big deal in my state. Gotta have a clean title for boat, motor, and the trailer or you can't do anything with it, so anything that has a good title brings a premium. You can find all kinds of good stuff without titles for little money.

MrGiggles said:
Paperwork is the big deal in my state. Gotta have a clean title for boat, motor, and the trailer or you can't do anything with it, so anything that has a good title brings a premium. You can find all kinds of good stuff without titles for little money.

Oh, well there is actually somewhere you could make money. In NH we don't title anything older than 10 years.

Latest posts