90hp mercury popping/misfire on idle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eoughphily

Reaction score
have a new to me boat I purchased with a 1991 mercury 90hp outboard. When I start it up, it seems to be misfiring/popping and will not idle. Once it gets below 1200 rpms it starts to shutdown. I cannot get it to idle long enough to put in gear when in the water or under load. Sometimes I can when I have the hose hooked up. I started troubleshooting and have exhausted my knowledge of what is causing this. Below is a list of things I have done so far.

Current idler screw adjustment
Top - 1 1/4
Middle - 1 1/4
Bottom - 1 1/4

Seated idler adjustment screws and pulled out 1 1/2. Adjusted 1/8 each way but there is no change in the misfire/popping.

Checked compression.
Top - 95
Middle - 95
Bottom - 100

Ignition coil resistance test
Top - posts .4 and wire to post .951
Middle - posts .5 and wire to post .917
Bottom - posts .3 and wire to posts .918

Attached in line spark tester on each plug and all are lighting up good.
Performed 1/4" spark gap test - has spark

Replaced fuel hose between inline filter and carburetor. There are no air bubbles. Fuel pump should be good.

Rebuilt carburetors, no gunk or anything found to be causing any problems.

Inspected read valves through inlet while carbs were off. Also examined carbs with air vents removed for any blow back. None seen, also air vents were clean.

Replaced spark plugs even though they looked ok.
Here is a video of it running.
Misfire?

Replaced inline fuel filter with a clear view glass filter.

Here is a link to a youtube video of it running.

https://youtu.be/-wqvtFeYtHs

At this point I am unsure if this is fuel or spark related. I havent done a cdi test with a dva adapter yet because I dont have one, it will be here on monday. Any thoughts or ideas to help point me in the right direction would be so much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I'm thinking the issue may be ignition related. I did some further tests on the stator and trigger. I dont have a dva adapter yet for my voltmeter, that will be arriving on monday. Below are the ohm readings i got.

Serial number
0D028331

Trigger
Range is 800 - 1400
Wht/blk to brn 1216
Wht/blk to wht 1218
Wht/blk to vio 1220

Stator
Red to grd (low side)106 range is 75-90
Blue to grd (high side) 3780 range is 3250 to 3650

My readings are a little high out of range, could this be an issue?

You need a DVA to test the ignition. I have little faith in resistance testing.

Check the ignition timing, go through the link and sync procedure. You'll need a timing light, someone may have screwed around with the timing stop screws, or replaced an ignition component and did not reset it.

Also check the rubber bumpers on the timing screws as well, they can deteriorate and cause the timing to change.

I wonder if it's a timing issue or the oil pump going bad. It was belching a lot of smoke when it idled down and that makes me think the vro oil pump is bad. I had a Merc 90 like that on an old Wahoo I had and it had the typical Mercury "sneeze" that took some idle air screw adjustments to get rid of. I just remember that the number of turns in the Mercury manual did not work on that motor, I had to go either 1/4 or 1/2 more or less than it called for but I can't remember which. You may want to start by disconnecting the vro oil pump and running some premix through to see if it idles better, that looked really smoky. I actually removed the oil pump from my current 64/45 and I've been running premix with Quicksilver synthetic the past 4-5 years.

Latest posts