Evinrude E-tec

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlo49431

Reaction score
I tried to self winterize my 2009 40 HP E-tec 2 seasons ago and the motor seemed to self winterize but would not turn itself off. Out of frustration I stored the boat in a heated garage for the winter and ran during the 2020 season. The boat started fine but smoked a lot, especially at higher rpm but a hot sensort never came on or the motor never entered a protective mode indicating over heating. I winterized at the end of the season and this time the self winterization completed with shutdown. Is it possible the motor ran the entire season of 2020 in a winterization mode? It started fine but smoked way more in 2020 than any other season. Not sure if I need to take in and have serviced or not.
Thanks for your help

No offense to anyone here, but I'd ask that question over here: https://www.etecownersgroup.com/ ... and I'm a diehard OMC/Evinrude guy for 50+ years boating!

BRP's software interface with the etec will tell you everything you need to know and more. Try to see if a shop has the time to simply run diagnostics for you.

DaleH said:
No offense to anyone here, but I'd ask that question over here: https://www.etecownersgroup.com/ ... and I'm a diehard OMC/Evinrude guy for 50+ years boating!
Agree with this, but then come back and tell us what you found out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlo49431 said:
Is it possible the motor ran the entire season of 2020 in a winterization mode? It started fine but smoked way more in 2020 than any other season. Not sure if I need to take in and have serviced or not.
Thanks for your help

Do you have a system check gauge? Did you notice abnormally high oil consumption in 2020? I'm thinking you shut it down before it existed the winterize mode. Normally they should shut down within a minute. But sometimes if the TPS is not in the right position, they don't. Go through the procedure again (which you did the following season) and after you advance the throttle the second time and the engine goes into fast idle just wait. We've seen some take 3-4 minutes, especially if it is the first time it has been winterized and the engine has less than 300 hours on it. This is usually with Teleflex controls since they are programmed to use BRP controls and the EMM is looking for a high TPS signal with the engine in neutral.

This does not hurt the engine, if it's running fine now after a proper shutdown after being fogged for a second time it does not need to go in for service.

All the new gen outboards have problems with electronics. Constantly. And they all have proprietary software to diagnose a problem with them. And they have mechanical problems too - local marina has a pile of blown Mercury powerheads on a pallet that have been replaced under warranty. Everything from holes in the block from a tossed rod to one that I seen that seized up because it got water in the oil. The Etec is probably one of the best outboards there is in the new crop of electronic engines. BRP was just light on marketing and the four-stroke craze took over due to EPA regs. The result was outboards that are so incredibly complicated the average DIY'er can't work on them anymore, and so incredibly expensive that repowering an older boat with a new engine is no longer feasible.

There's a reason I never bought into the four-stroke craze.

Latest posts