up or down ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBash

Reaction score
Hello folks ,
I have older Johnson two cycle outboards on two 14 ft boats that stay in the water all summer . Do you suggest leaving the outboards in the down position when not in use or raising them up until the prop is out of the water ? I have seen both on our lake .

Thanks,
Bob

If a tannic scum line won't appear on the lower unit and it was safely secured so the LU wouldn't suffer any damage in a storn or if the hull broke away ...I sure would be leaving mine down! However, ensure there's no stay electrolysis around your dock, as any stray AC current getting into surrounding waters could be an issue. So watch your zincs carefully.

Pappy said:
And I say keep the water intakes out of the water to keep marine growth from restricting cooling water flow to your engine.
so.....now what'cha gonna' do!!
Wouldn't evidence of any scum line on the hull be a precursor to any potential marine growth?

down if it ever gets below freezing. If left up and it freezes, the water's expansive force at around 33 degrees F is substantial enough to destroy stuff.

If left down and in the water, there is chance of corrosion. Severe corrosion depending on the water. Also chance of marine growth. Even in fresh water.

I've seen freshwater outboards that have spent their lives sitting at a boat house, in the water, rotted nearly completely away. Sometimes it has to do with electrical currents passing between the boat/motor and the dock that it is moored to. Sometimes it has to do with the Ph of the water itself. Sometimes it's a combination of the two. If your dock has electricity, make SURE it's done properly as I have seen things rot out in under 1 year because a dock was not wired properly. Improper wiring in the boat is also a concern.

If at all possible take it out of the water but I understand why sometimes that's not possible or not an option. Local lake, lot of guys have been installing/building lifts so that the boats are not sitting in the water at the dock/house. Some of them are crude; made out of a hand crank winch and some ropes or straps but they work.

There are drains drilled into the cavities that hold water in the gearcase. These will drain the water and protect against freeze damage.
Your results may vary but I can tell you that gearcase freeze damage claims at the manufacturer level was not even a blip on the radar (for OMC).

To answer Dales question. Yes and no!
I try and reply with an answer that would cover a broad spectrum of areas around the country or world.
The closer to the surface level the more marine growth accumulates. That's a fact. However, this should never be a gauge as to whether or not you have it building up in the water intakes. That would be like folks assuming their water pump is in great shape because the overboard indicator works.
Various areas of the country have more or less growth and saltwater vs fresh presents another huge variation.
I see it almost weekly at the shop. Old guys bring their boats in by water and usually tell me their neighbor told them to leave the engine trimmed down. I show them the issue and tell them how much it can cost them and let them make their own decision going forward.

Pappy said:
There are drains drilled into the cavities that hold water in the gearcase. These will drain the water and protect against freeze damage.
Your results may vary but I can tell you that gearcase freeze damage claims at the manufacturer level was not even a blip on the radar (for OMC).

To answer Dales question. Yes and no!
I try and reply with an answer that would cover a broad spectrum of areas around the country or world.
The closer to the surface level the more marine growth accumulates. That's a fact. However, this should never be a gauge as to whether or not you have it building up in the water intakes. That would be like folks assuming their water pump is in great shape because the overboard indicator works.
Various areas of the country have more or less growth and saltwater vs fresh presents another huge variation.
I see it almost weekly at the shop. Old guys bring their boats in by water and usually tell me their neighbor told them to leave the engine trimmed down. I show them the issue and tell them how much it can cost them and let them make their own decision going forward.

Freezing is a concern here, I've had three motors freeze up in the past. I fish all year, the lakes seldom freeze over for very long. I'll go out when the weather is decent, but sub-freezing temps are usually not far away.

One was an 83 Johnson 25. That one may have had a drain or something plugged up, but it would freeze if you didn't pick the motor all the way up and let it drain.

The other two, a Mercury 60 and Suzuki 75, will trap water if you just trimmed them up and let them sit on the transom saver, it needs to be removed and the motor trimmed all the way down before they will drain fully. Thankfully nothing was damaged in those cases.

In a slip, I would vote pull it up, aside from freezing weather in the fall and spring.

Hello again and thanks for the replies . Some of the info I hadn't considered before . Some clarification . These two smaller older ,smaller outboards ( 1968 Johnson 9.5 and a 1968 Johnson 20 hp ) are tied the the dock/float only in in warm weather during the summer in Maine . The dock/float has no power going to it . The lake ( fresh water) is fairly shallow and does have a good bit of weed growth through the boating season . One concern that I have is that when left in the up position and another boat goes by leaving a large wake ,my boats can get shaken up and down to the point where the latch could come undone allowing the motor to slam down and/or put unwanted strain on the transom. Another thought was that leaving the lower unit in the water all of the time might be tougher on the aluminum casting and seals . I appreciate your thoughts and comments .

Bob

Latest posts