1962 Sea King Five Updated 10-30-08

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12ftModder

Reaction score
Well I got a deal today a friend actually found an outboard for me for free! Thats always a good thing, but I am wondering if it would be worth fixing. It Seems to have been sitting for quite some time. The motor is a 1962 Sea King 5hp (manufactured by Gale which is OMC) are parts for this easily available?

Heres a few pics of it before i start cleaning it up.

100_1584.jpg

100_1595.jpg

100_1594.jpg

100_1592.jpg

100_1590.jpg

100_1591.jpg

For the most part, that is similar to the '62 5.5 Johnny. So, parts are fairly available. There are minor powerhead differences, but the gearcase should almost be an exact replica.

thanks for the quick reply bassboy.

So it would be worth fixing then as the gearcase seem to be ok as far as prop spins freely when i n N and locks when in either fwd or rev i have spun the motor just a 1/4 revo so not locked up and felt like there was comp building up. what would be good to put in the cylinders to make sure no dmg is done when i do comp test. I just dont want to spend a lot of $$ on it, as i had just missed a deal on a 03 15hp Gamefisher thats still looked as if brand new with all paperwork for $500!

1st thing you need to do is run a compression test, and give it an all-over visual. Drain any old fluids as well.

ST

Those motors are usually restored.So,I'd guess that parts are available or there's an aftermarket for them.Try this site for more info. https://www.aomci.org/index.htm

Well it looks like it deff will need a new propshaft seal. The motor has good compression, with a weak looking spark though. Contacts look a little corroded and dont have a puller to take the flywheel off to get at them yet.

would part# 18-2022 be the correct propshaft oil seal that I need to replace? seen leaking in the picture

100_1596.jpg

100_1597crop.jpg

Well the old Sea King is slowly coming along, Should have it running this weekend, still waiting on new powerhead base gasket,impeller. Carb has been rebuilt, new plugs, wires, points&condensers. I pulled the midsection apart to clean and paint. Just need to do the top and bottom of the cowling still.

Ready For Primer
IMG_0092.jpg

Etching Primer Done
IMG_0095.jpg

I will post more pics when finished

Well I got most of it painted today, only thing left is the top cowling. Need more paint stripper. I ended up using Krylon rattle cans in Hunter Green satin finish, over the duplicolor green self etching primer.

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Still waiting for Lower Unit Seal Kit before I put the lower unit back on which means the powerhead must stay off. Good thing though since the oil line for the main bearings broke and needs replaced. So I wont be getting her running this weekend as I thought I would. Heres the progress for the day.

original front label
IMG_0083.jpg

Ready for the powerhead and lower unit.
IMG_0084.jpg

Quick questions,

Looking at your fuel pump, the lower hose seems to go to the gas tank and the upper house to the carb right ?

100_1591.jpg

Man, you have a big project on your hand... I am curious to see how you come out after everything I have
been going through with mine...

Keep us posted.

My motor is striped,boxed,and ready for paint.What address do I send it to along with my money? :LMFAO:

That's gonna be one nice motor.

SVNET said:
Quick questions,

Looking at your fuel pump, the lower hose seems to go to the gas tank and the upper house to the carb right ?

100_1591.jpg

Man, you have a big project on your hand... I am curious to see how you come out after everything I have
been going through with mine...

Keep us posted.

Yes that would be correct, it is marked which side up and in/out.

ben2go said:
My motor is striped,boxed,and ready for paint.What address do I send it to along with my money? :LMFAO:

That's gonna be one nice motor.

It should be shipped to your garage or favorite place to work on things, and do it yourself and save that money for something else :LMFAO:

Thanks, I am happy you all like it so far. I think its gonna turn out great!

Today I plan on getting the powerhead put back together, and have it ready to drop on the midsection once i get the lower unit finished.

Pics

IMG_0085-1.jpg

Rebuilt Ignition
IMG_0086.jpg

Rebuilt Carb
IMG_0089-1.jpg

View of where the oil line broke
IMG_0087paint.jpg

Powehead is back together ready to put back on midsection when i finish the lower unit. Minus the fuel pump putting new diaphram in it.

Heres the bare powerhead, was close to just doing a total rebuild, both cylinders showed 75psi compression ( I dont have the service manual for it, so Im not positive what its supposed to be, but from some of the other gale manuals I looked at it ranges a bit... 1969 6hp = 55-65psi... 1969 9hp = 75-90psi... ) so I hope its close and dont need to re-ring or bore it.

100_1639.jpg

Stator Plate with New Ignition back on. (same coils that were on it)
100_1644.jpg

Flywheel On
100_1648.jpg

Power Head Back Together Again!
100_1650.jpg

100_1652.jpg

Still Need To Clean and Paint The Top
100_1653.jpg

I Cant Wait To Get Her Running!

Latest posts