Ideal Motor HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreadinger

Reaction score
I have a 1984 Lowe 1436 jon boat, what size motor do you think would be best to mount on it?

Really depends on how much you'll have to run. If your gonna be running quite abit, then something like a little bigger will get you there a little faster/easier. I would say a 9.9 at least personally....but what do I know? #-o

You could contact a Lowe dealer or the manufacture through their website to be sure of this.If it's a riveted hull I think 15HP is max and a welded hull is 25HP max.Have you check the areas you'll be operating in for horsepower restrictions and 2 stroke restrictions?Some places limit horsepower and have banned 2 stroke motors.I recently ran into the 2 stroke ban, after giving up fishing for a couple years,at my favorite lake.

Thanks guy's..The tag is missing but it came with a 15hp that has never run reliably. The 15hp pushed it with ease so I may be looking for a newer 9.9. The briggs 5hp looks economical but i think it may be a bit small with my 250lbs and all the monster fish I plan on catching!

15 is ideal for a 1436. They often don't like too much extra motor weight, and especially in the case of Johnnyrudes, the weight difference of 9.9s and 15s is usually less than 5 pounds. What is the matter with the motor on it?

I am not crazy about the B&S motors. Yes, they are simple, but they are noisy, and are basically a lawnmower engine mounted on a lower unit. For small outboards, I see no reason in the world to stray from 2 stroke motors, unless you are really into real slow trolling, and don't want to use electric for that purpose.

I hope to have found the problem tonight. I found a crack in the fuel line, I bought a new one a wally world. Also the compression was 75 and 80, I fogged it with some sea foam for a couple of days and then started it up and sprayed it in the intake. My compression is now about an even 100lbs, does that sound good enough?

100 pounds sounds a little low, but because they are both the same, and above 100 (well, right at it) you should be a okay.

Man you know what if i were you i wiuld just go with a newer model 20 or 25 horsepower. You will relize real quick that the extra horsepower is veryyyyyyyy nice to have when it comes to getting areoun the lake. I mean you cna find a good used one for around 500 to 800. I got a 2001 25 hp johnson for 650 and i love it. So like i said the if you get a smaller engine like a 5 or 10 you will realize the extra horespower in a 20 25 would be very nice.

Well it seems that the fuel line fixed the problem. It now starts up on two pulls and starts on one pull after that. I will now have to take it to the river and try it out. Thanks to everyone for your idea's!

dreadinger if you dont like that motor sell it to me I love omc 15hp motors and it is the perfect match for that boat and with a little work the little motor is the most dependable out there. also you need to decarb motor on a regular basis. At least twice a year. Also your 100lb compression it very acceptable for that motor. just keep up with regular maintenance and use seafoam in every tank to keep the carbon buildup down to a minimum.

Latest posts