Fog Cylinders?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfire01

Reaction score
Please explain what this means. Are there winterizer kits available? Also, what would you think the average tune-up would cost, barring that it doesn't take anything major.

Thanks

What engine?

Fogging the cylinders involves spraying a fogging oil into each cylender through teh spark plug hole. This helps keep moisture out, eases starting after a long sit and prevent (most importantly) un-lubricated metal rings and cylinder walls from scoring or seizing.

Lots of different brand fogging oils out there

Marines sell a kit for long term storage, some include oil for fogging through sp. plug holes and some have a oil that you spray in the carb. while running at a fast idle and keep spraying off and on till the motor quits. This takes care of the carb. and the cyl's. both.

If you have a newer motor,made in the last 5 years,I would use a fogging oil.If you have an older motor use a quality penatrating oil.I use liquid wrench and then re apply a day or two before a trip.Thing is, I keep my motor locked up in my out building when it's not being used.So i don't have moister problems like a motor that sits outside on the back of a boat.

Hopefully, I wasn't wrong in doing this vut I did the same thing we used to do with our two stroke dirt bikes for starage. I removed the plugs and poured a little two cycle oil in the ctlinder then replaced the plugs and and spun the engine a few times without the plug wires on. It may make restarting a bit hard but it does oil coat everything. I suppose that in a few more months I'm going to find out....

I have a 2002, 9.9 Yammy, I put a half bottle of stabill in the gas tank, (I use the other half the following year), I spray the fog through the carb till it starts to smoke and eventually stalls, I still have the fog from 02. It doesnt take much for my big 9.9.

Latest posts