Wnterizing Article

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Okay, seems like there a few members who store their rigs during the cold months (and a few who still brave the weather). Who would like to volunteer to write a good motor winterizing article, with step-by-step pics if possible? I did a search and couldn't find a complete step-by-step post. It would make a good reference for current and future members. I'm sure Jim would post it on the Homepage too. 8)

Here's a chance for you tech-savvy writers to get yourselves "published." :)

Here's one I found on the net.

Doh! Forgot link. See my next post.

Of course, if you live down here in the South, all you need to do is change gear oil before first freeze (usually right around Christmas), and store the motor in the down position, as opposed to up, as we fish all year round (some 70 degree days in December). When it starts getting down to lower temps, I bump start my outboard (without the kill switch, so it can't fire) at the ramp as I am strapping down, to get a bit of water out. Not necessary, as outboards self drain, but it makes me feel better.

AWAY UP NORTH WHERE LAKES FREEZE, THIS IS WHAT WE DO !!

1. DRAIN CARB. AND FUEL TANK IF BUILT IN.
2. MIX STABIL AND FUEL TO SPECS. ON BOTTLE. RUN LONG ENOUGH TO BE SHURE FUEL IS THROUGH SYSTEM. I RUN MINE TILL IT'S OUT. FUEL SYSTEM IS NOW READY FOR STORAGE.!!
3. REMOVE SPARKPLUG(S) AND FOG WITH FOGGING OIL FROM YOUR DEALER, WD40 WORKS FINE SO DOES 5W30 MOTOR OIL. I USE THE MOTOR OIL, CRANK OVER SLOWLEY BY HAND TO DISPURSE OIL ON CYLINDER. POWERHEAD NOW READY FOR STORAGE.
4. DRAIN LOWER UNIT, FOG IF DESIRED TO REMOVE MOISTURE, TAG WITH BRIGHT COLORED TAG OF CHOISE STATING THAT LOWER UNIT IS EMPTY. PUT PLUG IN FINGER TIGHT JUST TO KEEP DIRT OUT AND SO AS NOT TO LOOSE PLUG DURING WINTER.
5. STORE MOTOR IN A SAFE PLACE !! :mrgreen:

Dougdad, I notice that you said to run the fuel out of the motor.

Over time on a 2 cycle motor, this may cause premature wear in the cylinders. As one of the carbs runs out of fuel, those cylinders will be running dry until all carbs are emptied.

my poor mans winterize:

spray white lithium grease into your carb untill it chokes the motor out. when you go to fire it back up in the spring, the first stroke will clean the grease out of the cylinders.
then i loosen the bolt on the carb bowl to get the access fuel out

ive heard to many horror storys about stabil ruining carb needle and seats

Ok, I have a question. What about fuel line and bulb? I bought a new bulb last summer and it is hard to squeeze now. Yes it was a walmart one. Spare of the moment on the way to the lake thing. I am going to get all new bulb, line, ends, and all today. Do ya'll leave fuel in them or drain them to store. I stored mine dry.

My other rig (sold it) was stored outside year-round. Both the boat and motor (50hp Merc 2-stroke) were always covered. I always used Stabil, never drained the bulb or the hose, leaving it connected to the motor 24/7, and fogged the cylinders. I never had a problem, and it worked okay for me, but every situation is different.

It was 17* this morning with a high of 22*. Our boat motors cranked and ran fine but one of them did freeze the telltale for the water pump.

I temps like this morning, it's impossible to get everything drained out before it freezes. I tilted mine down as far as it would go before the skeg ground the asphalt and let it drain. I have it down once again but whatever was left in there is frozen solid until we get some warmer temps. I have icicles 10" long hanging from the trailer bunks. :lol:

Quackrstackr said:
It was 17* this morning with a high of 22*. Our boat motors cranked and ran fine but one of them did freeze the telltale for the water pump.

I temps like this morning, it's impossible to get everything drained out before it freezes. I tilted mine down as far as it would go before the skeg ground the asphalt and let it drain. I have it down once again but whatever was left in there is frozen solid until we get some warmer temps. I have icicles 10" long hanging from the trailer bunks. :lol:

So.........if we combine the words Triton and icicles, we get......................Tricicles! :)

Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

I can tell you this for fact.

22* @ 50mph, even when wearing a full facemask, will make your lips so numb that you can not speak in under 3 minutes. :mrgreen:

Latest posts