20 or 25hp?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverbronzeback

Reaction score
Anybody know what a 1958 johnson 18hp weighs. How about the 20hp that came later. Was the 20hp a good motor. They didnt seem to make it very long. The reason i ask is cause had to sell my 18hp but feel like i could use more power. My boat is a older smokercraft 1440 decked out front and back. Could i go with a 25 or would this be too much? Not ready to buy one yet just bored with this long snowy winter and cant help but dream about afternoons on the river nailing smallies. Opinions? Thanks.

A newer 25 shouldnt weigh that boat down. It shouldnt be too much motor for that boat either. Look at a Yamaha 4 stroke 25 if you can find a deal on one. Nice little motors.

Unless you are trolling or need 4 stroke for lake restrictions, I would be looking at 2 strokes. A 20 isn't going to gain you much. A post '85 25 horse will gain you quite a bit, as it is a prop shaft 25, where as your 18 is a crankshaft rated 18, which is about 15 or 16 actual HP.

The reason for 2 strokes is the hp/weight ratio, which is a definite plus on tiller operated jon boats, that don't like to get out of the hole real well (to bow light).

I have a 74' johnson 25 HP on my 16' semi V , my boat is pretty heavy and the 25 scoots it along pretty good.

The 18 moved it along pretty well by myself. Which is ok most of my fishing is by myself or with my 5 year old son. A newer 25 is definately out of my price range. I would have to stay in the 70s or later to be able to afford a 25. For the money i will probobly be looking for another 18hp come spring. Thanks for the responses. I hated to have to part with my 18hp johnson as i only had it for the end of the summer. Money has been an issue this winter. Come spring i will look for another to rebuild and get running. I will have to use my ol trusty 6hp johnson early spring. Wont move very fast but at least it will get me on the water. Cant wait for the smallies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep on scanning the classifieds,kijiji.craigslist...whatever.
Picked up a 30hp(87) for 300 bucks,all it needed was a carb cleaning.

Latest posts