Lower unit repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlmood77

Reaction score
Had a chunk out of my lower unit since I purchased it. Decided to do a fix on it and will share my technique here in case anyone else has a problem similar.

This is what I started with

Picture037.jpg

I took my trusty Dremel and ground the surrounding area so that my "patch" would fit flush and have something to bite into

Picture038.jpg

For my "patch" I used a piece of expanded metal lath that I hammered as flat as I could get it, then cut to shape.

Picture040.jpg

I put some tape on the inside to make a "release" for the epoxy, then a piece of semi-rigid plastic sheet behind that to hold the curve.

Picture041.jpg

Partly fill the area with JB Weld, set the patch in and add more epoxy

Picture044.jpg

Picture043.jpg

I then covered that with more tape and added heat from a lamp to slow down the epoxy from setting to quick in the cold shop.

Picture045.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Let set a few days, then remove tape, sand and fill in any low spots with body filler and you end up with this.

Picture157.jpg

Its a strong fix and cost me a few bucks for epoxy. :mrgreen:

I recently cracked my cavitation plate where it meets the lower unit.Looks like it's off to the welding shope in a few weeks.

I did a very similar repair on a cavitation plate that had a chunk missing. I used a piece of sheet aluminum with the JB Weld. Because the cavitation plate is flat, this repair is easy. :wink: