1988 8HP Yamaha for $400, a good deal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I hate to post again about another possible purchase, but I really have no one else to ask about the price or whatnot. The guy says it was last used 5 years ago but works and only needs a fuel line from tank to motor. Has anyone here ever used a 1988 Yamaha or know anything about them? I know the parts are readily available, so that's a relief. But are these well made motors? I'll take my brother with me (or gf's father) to look at it, but the guy was asking $500, but I talked to him down to 400. Is that a better deal than $300 for a 1966 Evinrude? My gut says yes, though my wallet says no, lol. Anything else I should know about these motors? I think I might be able to spend a bit more on my first motor since I might be getting a free boat. We'll see. Thanks!

I had a 99 9.9hp Yamaha that was a great motor it sat for 6 years and when i hooked up to fresh gas it fired up and ran fine
some guys mite give you grief about buying a rice burner but They are great motors the 66 rude is also a great motor.
either way you go just be sure that the motor runs and you can get it in and out of gear.

If the '66 'Rude is the same hp as the '88 Yamahammer, then the $100 extra bucks makes the Yamaha a better deal, IMO. 20 years newer in age & technology is worth $100 as long as it is in good condition. A cherry 66 outruns an 88 with a burned cylindar anytime .

Now, I am a Johnson/Evinrude guy, but I really can't bad mouth the Yamaha 2 stroke motors at all. If all checked out condition wise, I would certainly take the Yamadinger over that 9.5 'Rude (I hate those stupid things). Not a bad price for that. About what they would go for around here.

CarlF said:
If the '66 'Rude is the same hp as the '88 Yamahammer, then the $100 extra bucks makes the Yamaha a better deal, IMO. 20 years newer in age & technology is worth $100 as long as it is in good condition. A cherry 66 outruns an 88 with a burned cylindar anytime .

The 1988 Yamaha is 8 HP while the 1966 Evinrude is 9.5. I would have to pull the trigger quick but the Envinrude guy cant demo it - but it has good compression. And I got to talking with him, he was a good guy, went to the same college as I, and I just happen to like the way that old motor looks.

The guy cant demo the Yamaha either, as he said he hasnt run it in 5 years and it looks like it needs a fuel line. Seems like an honorable guy, I just am leery.

Its sad but these days you cant just go off the "honorable guy" alone, ask around see if you know someone with a fuel line, and then do as much of a check over as you can w/ whoever you bring along

michiganman18 said:
Its sad but these days you cant just go off the "honorable guy" alone, ask around see if you know someone with a fuel line, and then do as much of a check over as you can w/ whoever you bring along

This is something my gf kills me about - I always assume people are being truthful and I take them on their word. I guess I like to see the best in people.

As much as I want one of these motors, there are others and I'm not going to rush into something, espcially when I can't afford to mess up!

hardwatergrampa said:
around here that yamaha would be gone i like the rudes but the yarm would be my pick

I did pass on the 1966 Rude - I just don't like that he can't test it before I buy it for $300. I love the way it looks for some reason.

The Yamaha owner emailed me and said that he is going to get a fuel line, and can test it with me or let me run his boat, and for $400 I am going to do it. Plus parts are more readily available, so I won't have to sweat at all. Owner says that the motor doesn't need another penny, so I am cautiously optimistic. I wonder if he has the manual, or if I can buy it online?

well if he will let you test drive the motor on hiis boat i would kinda lean on the motor being ok doesnt sound like he is trying to hide any thing but you never know today

I came across your site while researching 8 hp Yamaha's, and because I have an old 63' Starcraft this looks like a good place to be.
I'm also a retired marine tech, and thought this post needed a little input.

Always do a spark and compression check when buying used engines. No exceptions. If it won't run good, then you've got bargaining power, the third thing an engine needs is fuel, also usually an easy fix in comparison to the other two. If it won't pump water, again, more bargaining power. I don't put in just impellers, but the whole pump, due to the wear of the housing and base pate.

Hope it helps some.

BTW, excellent price on the 8 hp Yamaha, if it checked out.