Tips for starting a club.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
These are just some tips that could help, and for those that have done it, please chime in.

1, Get the word out!

Hit all your local forums, make up some cheap flyers and hit all the bait and tackle shops in your area. I doubt any bait shop owner will say no.

2, Don't be afraid to ask for help. Ask for opinions and try to involve potential members.

3, Make it more of a learning and fun experience, the competition should be secondary.

4, Create a set of rules and stick by them. Especially when it involves safety. You will not make everyone happy, that is life.

I have a theory about growing a trail... that has worked for me. My trail went from 6 guys showing up when i took it over to an avg of 23 guys.
We have all seen the guy that was out fishing for the day and stuck around to watch the weigh in and thinks to himself WOW i did better than that today. He goes home and talks his wife into letting him spend the money to enter the event. As it has happened to most of us, his day doesn't end well and he skunks or brings in a small fish or two.
Now the dock talk starts with the winner and friends yucking it up, the new guy comes over to met the guys and asks the question where did you catch them and what did you use?
This is when we can all help grow the trail. Instead of the normal answers like:
.you have to just figure them out.
.out in the lake on a 9" bubblegum senko.
. look at this guy he has the balls to ask me what i was using lol.
with those answers you will NEVER see him again and he will warn others to stay away.
Now lets say you answer his question this way...just be honest
I was fishing deep water drop offs using crank baits and jigs...
he will go home and tell the wife he struggled but these guys were great the winner told me where he was fishing and what he was using I know I can get them the next time and will tell others what a great group of guys you have fishing with you.

Now what did yu really tell him? nothing... you didn't tell hi the drop was from 6' to 12' on a wind blown point just off the main river channel thathad a rooad bed running down the point with a brush pileon the end.
you didn't tell him the key was to use a dd22 in blue herring pattern digging it into the bottom.
you just told him everything you did without telling him a single thing..
Sorry for the long post I hope this helps...

I am an active member of our health club started in 2003.
The points really matches and also got some new points like "Ask for opinions".

Hey Redbug, I remember you from the old Fishin Fanatic's board. Long time no see :D

I sure agree with what you said about getting and keeping new members. Most everybody just wants to learn from other club members, meet new people and have fun in a club. What is it going to hurt to give a little info? I will tell you one thing, if you help a fellow fisherman when he needs it, then you will get twice as much help back when YOU need it.

Latest posts