Wood burning\fire wood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pruitt1222

Reaction score
One of my hobbies is burning wood for heat, Many people in this area do it and I was just wondering how many of you guys do it? Aint nothing better then having a 40 dollar electric bill and 12 dollar gas bill in december. And thats for keeping my water hot, driveway clear of snow, house, and garage toasty. Currently we are getting ready to replace our yukon burner for a energy king unit, I tell you the best part about it is being able to buy big chainsaws without the wife rasing to much of a fuss. I think in a past life I was a logger maybe, I love felling and cutting trees almost as much as fishing "maybe more in the fall".

Attachments

• Picture 274 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 274 (Medium).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,420
  • Picture 275 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 275 (Medium).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,420
Yeah........... We burn wood, Although I don't share your love of cutting wood....probably cuz I don't get any help. Its worth it though. We have not had to have our propane tank filled in the last two years, The only thing in our home that uses propane is our stove. Our average electric bill is only about $70.00.

We have a fireplace insert. It keeps the house at 80 during the Winter. We love it. Best thing we purchased. Getting ready to cut down 5 trees in the backyard in a couple of weeks. That should net us about 3 cords.

I live in Philly and a friend had a wood burning stove for heat. Every week or two during winter the Fire Department would be called out because there was smoke coming from his chimney. :lol:

Loggerhead Mike said:
that saw's a hoss.
Thanks, Its my baby. Stihl 084AV, 121cc 8.6hp sports a 35 inch bar with a 59incher for back up. So what kind of amounts does everyone burn? We burn 8 to 12 cord a year here over a 5 year average. We also have a insert but only used it during the ice storm 2 years ago, It worked well but made half the house cool and the other way to stuffy. Better then freezing though. Backpain tell your buddy the key to burning in town is well seasoned wood, If you burn wood with 10% or lower moisture you have almost no smoke. And if the neighbors complain just tell them to go some where, Your being green.

Been wood heating our old country home that was built in 1900 since we bought it back in 2004, I have a Old Timer heat box and it heats the hole house very well. I burn 4 1/2 to 5 cords usually as needed thru the winter months. never used any other heat, the wood guys are catching on cause they sure as heck have raised the prices per cord. I had the chain saws and splitters in the beginning but, I burn so much I don't have enough time to do it all, so about 2 or 3 cords I have to buy.

it takes dedication for sure to commit :D

I go through 3/4 cord of wood per season. I get allot of scrap wood from my fathers wood shop and his buddies shop. All Oak, cherry, mahogony scraps. Dumpsters full. :D

Hit your local furniture wood worker for free wood, they pay to have it removed, you would be doing him the favor. That stuff burns hot and fast. I usually start the fire with that stuff and then throw a log or two in.

having them things that close to feet with flip-flops makes me cringe

Brine said:
having them things that close to feet with flip-flops makes me cringe
:LOL2: Its not bad till you get saw dust between your toes. :wink: Hey fishingbuds we live very close, what size of area are you heating? Iwould love to get down to that little amount of fire wood. The first two years for us was crazy trying to figure out how to load our furnace and set the draft controls, we tore through the wood. We do alright now but the wife refuses to load anything heavy and tooth picks burn quick, Hoping the new furnace will end this. It has a large enough box and after burner to only load it twice a day. We heat 1800 sq ft house minus basement, houses hot water, and 700 sq foot garage via hot water also. They are talking about banning outdoor burners here, there smoking up the out skirts to bad or something. To many people burning green wood I guess.

Jim said:
I go through 3/4 cord of wood per season. I get allot of scrap wood from my fathers wood shop and his buddies shop. All Oak, cherry, mahogony scraps. Dumpsters full. :D

Hit your local furniture wood worker for free wood, they pay to have it removed, you would be doing him the favor. That stuff burns hot and fast. I usually start the fire with that stuff and then throw a log or two in.

Any good crankbait making material in those scraps, Jim?? :) :) :)

Pruitt, since you like cutting trees, I have one maybe two you can come cut and have all the wood from. I'm in Huntington WV. Not sure how far away from me you are located. :)

My buddy runs a Tree Service company

i get free wood and have yet to turn on my heater in the past two years

i burn about 4-6 cords each winter

Captain Ahab said:

That's awesome... your buddy is saving you a pant load in heating costs

cyberflexx said:
Pruitt, since you like cutting trees, I have one maybe two you can come cut and have all the wood from. I'm in Huntington WV. Not sure how far away from me you are located. :)
Thinks for the offer but thats abit of a drive, About 5 hours or so. Hey guys, most tree companys will drop fire wood at your house if you have the area to do it or will tell you to come pick up as much as you can. A lot of tree service companys treat wood as a waste product no matter what it is, Someone taking it off there hands saves them money. You can also get wood chips from most free as well. Looking for free wood shoot me a pm with your location, got a lot of buddys in the biz

Pruitt I can burn 26" logs, its a old timer and you can see the box in the back ground
DSC03629.jpg

I at first was getting trash logs at a local lumber yard, the stuff burned quick, since the last 5 years I have gotten good lumber and its a major differance. we heat all day and at night i just load it up set it on slow, and in the morning there's ambers there to rotate another burn 8)

Again its dedication to burn 100% wood, but well worth it in the long run people :wink:

Captain Ahab said:

I burn about that much a season too. But I don't have a buddy with a tree service. :( :( :(

We burn about a cord a winter, give or take a little bit. 'Course, our winters down here are a bit shorter than most of y'alls.

I thoroughly enjoy splitting wood. Good exercise. I grew up in a house that had only wood heating, so it's just one of those things. Where we are now, we have a fireplace on two floors, but they aren't near as efficient as the old woodstove we used to have, so burning wood does save us a lot, but we still have to run the furnace from time to time.

Pruitt1222 said:
Hey guys, most tree companys will drop fire wood at your house if you have the area to do it or will tell you to come pick up as much as you can. A lot of tree service companys treat wood as a waste product no matter what it is, Someone taking it off there hands saves them money. You can also get wood chips from most free as well. Looking for free wood shoot me a pm with your location, got a lot of buddys in the biz

Not here in the North East - firewood is gold! Price of a cord of good wood - if you could find it, was over $400.00 this past winter. Most places were sold out by November

In NY City they were charging $500.00 for a "city cord" which is less then 1/2 a normal cord

Captain Ahab said:
Pruitt1222 said:
Hey guys, most tree companys will drop fire wood at your house if you have the area to do it or will tell you to come pick up as much as you can. A lot of tree service companys treat wood as a waste product no matter what it is, Someone taking it off there hands saves them money. You can also get wood chips from most free as well. Looking for free wood shoot me a pm with your location, got a lot of buddys in the biz

Not here in the North East - firewood is gold! Price of a cord of good wood - if you could find it, was over $400.00 this past winter. Most places were sold out by November

In NY City they were charging $500.00 for a "city cord" which is less then 1/2 a normal cord

Holy crap. Down here, a full cord can be gotten for less than 150, delivered. If your willing to split it yourself, you can often find already cut, free for the pickup (tree companies cut it into firewood size pieces, and few actually want to use it).

bassboy1 said:
Captain Ahab said:
Pruitt1222 said:

Holy crap. Down here, a full cord can be gotten for less than 150, delivered. If your willing to split it yourself, you can often find already cut, free for the pickup (tree companies cut it into firewood size pieces, and few actually want to use it).

Wow :shock: .... the rare occasion we pay for a cord its only 75 bucks. The tree services around here don't give anything away, they sell it to the public for firewood, and to the sawmills. I forgot to mention the younger gentelmen we buy ours from brings it to us already cut from 20" to 24" logs. He always asks where he can stack it for me too.....probably cuz I tip him usually about $20 to $25 :D

Latest posts